General repair and servicing

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Janet

Post by Janet »

quote:
Now I have finally taken a decision to transport the bike up to Bedford, but unfortunately he has no time for about a month or so.
I have to see if I can find another repairer

In the meantime, try to sort it yourself. If you've got a spark and fuel is getting to your plug, my guess would be your ignition timing is out so it isn't sparking at the right time. How hard can it be?

Alternatively, you could join the club and go to the Hertfordshire section meeting to pick their brains.

Post by 1608 »

With all due respects Richard, if you were proficient enough to build the engine I'd have thought you should be knowledgeable enough to get it running. However, as Janet says, if you have a spark and fuel, correct timing and compression then it should start. If all these are correct, then I suspect the valve timing may be incorrectly set. Theres not much else that will prevent the bike from at least starting. Let us know how you get on.
itma

Post by itma »

and, not being rude, there is nothing so scary to a mechanic than a bloke who turns up and says "I have rebuilt this bike and it dont go.... will you fix it?"

no so much a can of worms but a whole dustbinful

believe me, I know
1923richard

Post by 1923richard »

OK - Thanks to all for your input. Now I have to tell you the story. I bought the bike at the motorcycle show in Shepton Mallet on the 19. feb. of a very nice gentleman. The bike was almost finished but he did not have the time to finish it. All parts except the wire loom and headlight, and centre stand brackets was there. Even the exhaust which I found out later was the wrong one. The seller told me that he had the engine running when he bought it but wanted to rebuild it and therefore had taken all wiring out. According to him it was a easy job to do the rest of the work - which I have done - buying some new parts. When I recieved the V5 it shows that there has been 9 previsioly owners. So I have a idea that he and former owners gave up on the bike. But maybee I am wrong.
Now to the ignition. As said it has spark. I have followed all what the original book said about setting the ignition. What happens when I try to start it is that it gives a flame out of the carburator or the exhaust first time and than nothing. I have adjusted the points so that they give the spark when the piston is in top possition and have full compression. I have tryed to make the spark come both after and before top as the book describes. Almost every time with the same resault. First kick a big bang and than nothing. I have even tryed to use some start help form a spray for this purpurse.
(please excuse my wrong spelling some times - I am not British)
For itma. I have some experience rebuilding bikes but must admid not very often engines that did not run when I stated dismantling and rebuilding and certently not one like this.
Last saturday I was in Stafford and found 2 similar bike for sale. Both could not start and the sellers did even not want to make an extra efford to try harder. If one of them would have started I would have bought them.
Best regards
Richard
Richard
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Richard. Well done for trying BUT there are two occasions when the piston is at Top Dead Centre (TDC), you must set the ignition timing (with the automatic Advance/Retard fixed in the fully advanced position) and when the piston is at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke, which is when both valves are closed. The flame effect sounds to me that you have timed it at TDC on the wrong stroke.
I cannot make others' point strongly enough that you should make contact with your local section, when with any luck one of them may be willing to come round for an hour and check it out.
You will also learn more in 10 minutes than in many hours of driving to and fro to a repairer.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

Richard, I have a 1964 G2CSR which ( apart from recently melting the electrics ) I got running beautifully when 'experts' had failed. Keep at it. They're unpopular bikes but those who keep them love them to bits.

Did I mention joining the club?
1923richard

Post by 1923richard »

Thanks SPRIDDLER
What I did was putting a wooden stick in the plughole to se when it has TDC - and both valves closed - setting ignition exactly at this point it would give a spark.
How can I set the fully advance when the engine is not running?
Richard
Janet

Post by Janet »

Haven't you got a manual? That would tell you how to do it. I'd tell you myself but I've forgotten.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I made some wooden wegdes for my G3. It might be the same for your lightweght so check your manual.
mn757

Post by mn757 »

Richard,

I emailed you at the beginning of the month offering to help as I'm regularly in the Watford area, but haven't heard anything from you at all ????

Hopefully you'll get it resolved soon anyway