petrol taps

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
StuBaker

petrol taps

Post by StuBaker »

Please help!

Can anyone tell me the thread of the part of the petrol tap that the petrol pipe fixes on to? Sorry to be stupid about this but I need to find the 'nozzle' (or rather two) that screws on so that I can attach the petrol pipe(s). I have found a website which supplies 'female hosetails' which look like what I need but so far I have two wrong sizes and it's getting expensive! 1/8"? 1/4"? 3/8"? bsp? what does it all mean?

Thanks

Rob Harknett

petrol taps

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stu, parts should be readily available to do the job, the nut that screws on the tap, with a hole in it for the nozzel. poke the nozzel through the hole, screw the assembly on the tap pust on the pipe and clips. or have I missed a point. ( its a gaspipe thread I believe, but proper amal carb parts should come easy ) Make sure you fit the tap in the tank so you are sure which end needs the pipe fitted. Then take the tap to the next jumble.
itma

petrol taps

Post by itma »

1/4 bsp is normal.

You need a hosetail to fit the nut, as the nut can be had with different inside diameters, for the tail shoulder so best bought in pairs.

a few taps can be found with smaller or larger threads, but you'd be unlucky if you had.

Best place for this sort of thing is a PirteK depot, there will be one near you.
StuBaker

petrol taps

Post by StuBaker »

Thanks for that, there is a Pirtek quite close so I'll try there at the weekend.
StuBaker

petrol taps

Post by StuBaker »

Just to round things off. I managed to find a petrol pipe assembly for a model 14 at Kempton on Saturday. Another chap also told me that the thread I was looking for is 3/16th BSP, he seemed to know what he was talking about!
itma

petrol taps

Post by itma »

thats a new one on me
StuBaker

petrol taps

Post by StuBaker »

That's what you get with a lightweight, everything's different! Connectors and three way pipe junction now soaking in vinegar to get rid of the crud, new pipes tomorrow and then maybe an attempt at ignition.
itma

petrol taps

Post by itma »

If you use rubber tube make sure its suitable for the new fuels, it'll say so on the tube.