Do I need 'the' tool

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Tolly

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by Tolly »

I think the "special tool" is only some kind of puller. The gear is quite a tight fit sometimes but its quite easy to make a small puller with a mild steel bar. Sometimes they can be teased off without a puller, but be careful not to use too much force and damage something.[:(!]
Best of luck! [:D]
Regards, Mike.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Colin F

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by Colin F »

The special tool is available from the spares scheme part no 043332 timing pinion extractor L/wt for the princly sum of £11.46.
Colin F

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by Colin F »

From memory (and I'm a babbling wreck yet!!) the nut is a lefthand thread and the pinion is fitted on a with a key, square sided with rounded ends not a woodruff type.
If you are going to try without the extractor get someone to help, apply gentle pressure with some form of levers and then give the shaft a sharp tap with a brass drift or similar, this is often enough to start it moving.
lawrence

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by lawrence »

Errrmmmmmmm i think it would be hard to make it much clearer. You do know taking the engine to bits is the easy bit?

there are lots of good simple books on basic engine building or if you go to an owners club night they will be fightintg to help you. they will actually be pleased to help you and give really excellent advice without charge or reward . Strange folk[:o)]
Janet

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by Janet »

Buy the tool. What can you get for £11.46 these days? Certainly not the replacement parts that you'll mangle beyond repair without it. Trust me, I know these things.
Biscuit
Deceased

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by Biscuit »

Reluctant as I am to agree with Janet, use the proper tool. Years of levering and banging in my youth and only succeeding in damaging things, taught me the hard way. I was always taught never to use a brass drift on any mechanism that was not to be completely stripped, brass chips and goes anywhere. Use mild steel.

Colin F

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by Colin F »

The correct tool for the job is the best idea.
Regarding brass drifts, I have been using the same drift ever since working on bikes and it was my fathers, he got his Matchless new from the factory in 1948 and to the best of my knowledge there has never been a chip come off it!