Fast tickover

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
StuBaker

Fast tickover

Post by StuBaker »

Well bless my soul ... it started! One more 14CSR to disturb the peace! After rebuilding, following all the rod down the plughole/degrees before TDC advice and having set the tappets cold it actually started. BUT the tickover is far too fast , that's likely to be an air leak right?

The question is which bits should I tighten first? (I have slackened off the throttle stop screw before anyone asks and the slide seems to be properly seated).

Any advice welcomed.
cbranni

Fast tickover

Post by cbranni »

Hi Stu, good to hear you got the engine running, double check the slide, is it hitting the stop, you should be able to hear it, a metalic click as it hits the stop, could be your inner cable is a tad short, slacken the throtle cable adjuster to give you a little slack in the cable, if this fails must be in the carb setup.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Fast tickover

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just one more small thing to check, make sure theres no tight bends in the cable, and the cable is long enought. This could hold the throttle open.
StuBaker

Fast tickover

Post by StuBaker »

Thanks guys.

has the lever arrived yet Colin?
cbranni

Fast tickover

Post by cbranni »

It has Stuart...........many thanks ..........but is a heavyweight, but its in better condition than mine so I will modify it to suit, any joy with tickover?
I taxed the G2 today so decided to take it out for a spin down the Mumbles, going ok except for an oil leak somewhere up top, so first job tomorrow off with the tank for a closer look.
Colin
StuBaker

Fast tickover

Post by StuBaker »

Tickover is better on second start up but still too fast for my liking. I'll have to go through the proper tune up procedure. Just playing with the idle screw slowed it down a bit.
I must be more methodical as in my excitement I nearly started it with no oil! Fortunately I had also forgotten to replace the fuse!
The real shame is that I think I'll be just too late for the alternative which is just up the road this year.
StuBaker

Fast tickover

Post by StuBaker »

Changed the throttle cable and all is well now, easy starting and steady rythmic tickover. Thanks for all the advice.
cbranni

Fast tickover

Post by cbranni »

Good news Stu