ajs 14csr blue

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
juanrichardo

ajs 14csr blue

Post by juanrichardo »

Hi, can anyone tell me the tank colour code or a close modern approximation for the ajs lightweight 250 (1965)as I am restoring one and wish to freshen up the paint, fortunately the chrome is good. Many thanks, John, Dorset.
SPRIDDLER

ajs 14csr blue

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forum John.

This may help. Model 14 is listed but only for 1959. Depends what 'blue' you have now as yours may not be factory original paint. They can supply 'touch up' as well as bulk quantitties.
Maybe give them a call?

http://www.motorbikepaint.co.uk./Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 07 Oct 2011 10:39:16 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

ajs 14csr blue

Post by Rob Harknett »

The lightweight CSR AJS had like a metalic paint. But nothing like a modern metalic paint. From wear on the AJS blue also Matchless red on bikes I have, seem to suggest they were first sprayed sliver, then a very thin coating of red or blue, to give what we now call the metalic effect. I guess the thin colour coat was also then sprayed with clear. So it would be almost imposible to get a modern one coat metalic paint to look like the original finish.
cbranni

ajs 14csr blue

Post by cbranni »

On my 14 I used Ford Monza Electric Blue as many people before me have done, not sure if its the right blue for a 65 machine, mine was 62.
Its easily available from most auto paint stockists

Heres the colour........

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m58 ... ike058.jpg

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
juanrichardo

ajs 14csr blue

Post by juanrichardo »

Colin/Rob/Spriddler,
Thanks guy's, for your help with colour id for 14csr, super quick response, regards, John.