transmission cup washer

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
cmarkley

transmission cup washer

Post by cmarkley »

Howdy,

On a 1962 G2, the LW transmission. Cup washer 041640. Does the big lip go down around the coil of the selector spring, or up toward the open side of the spring? My transmission was minus the washer when I got it, and the pictures I have looked at are not clear to me. I'm haveing trouble finding second gear, and wonder if I have guessed wrong.
Thanks
Chris
Rob Harknett

transmission cup washer

Post by Rob Harknett »

looking at the gearbox from the r/h side of the bike. the big lip faces you
Rob Harknett

transmission cup washer

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_l ... e_View.pdf
See this exploded view, hit the + sign a few times, you can see the part very easy
cmarkley

transmission cup washer

Post by cmarkley »

Rob,

Thanks for your fast help. So your saying the lip we see in the exploded view is the bigger one with the beveled edge. The small square edged one goes to the bottom with the coil (not shown in exploded veiw). That was the way I guessed it, but was not sure. I will keep playing with the transmission, I must have something else not quite right.
Thanks again.

Chris
Rob Harknett

transmission cup washer

Post by Rob Harknett »

Chris, are we takling about the same part.
You quoted pt. no. 041640, this goes against a spring with 2 prongs pt. no. 041327,pt. no. 041298 goes against the coil spring pt. no. 041358
If you click the link given, you have the exploded engine and gearbox, its a hi res scan, hit the + button to blow it up and you will see clearly what part goes where a which way round. So no misunderstanding with words.
Janet

transmission cup washer

Post by Janet »

I found this useful from Christian's Archives, probably because I could look at the pictures. Light weight gearbox rebuild
cmarkley

transmission cup washer

Post by cmarkley »

Rob,

Morning. Yes the washer/spring combination 041640/041327 is the one I am looking at. This spring affects the action of the selecting pawl.

Janet,
This view of the part is great. Makes me wish I had a computer in the shop to look at when needed. But then it would be covered in grease like everything else. And I'm not sure how well a Dell would respond to having a torch set as a next door neighbor. This drawing only shows one Lip, and I was not sure if it was showing the large or small one, since there is nothing to compare it with.

Thanks for the help
Chris
Janet

transmission cup washer

Post by Janet »

THe fun part will be when you try to put it back together.
cmarkley

transmission cup washer

Post by cmarkley »

Janet,

I can put it together with the same hammer I took it apart with, cann't I.