neilab

help

Post by neilab »

checked charge rate (6v system) only 5v going in battery
any ideas
BigAl350

help

Post by BigAl350 »

Without knowing much about the state of the bike (condition, original wiring or replacement, that sort of thing) it's best to try simple stuff first:

- Integrity and cleanliness of all wires and connectors from the alternator and beyond to the battery. Look for greenish corrosion anywhere, loose bullet connectors, burnt wiring, nasty bits of wire fitted without proper connectors/solder, bad contacts on the battery ;that sort of thing.

- Check what's coming out of the alternator (AC of course), and the state of the rectifier - hopefully you haven't got one of the original, giant-sized horrible ones fitted - a new one is only a few quid.

- Also check switches - Lightweight switches and their associated switch bases can play up - especially check that the switch bases have not become hard and old, as they then act as a leaky resistor and can burn!

- What readings are you getting on your ammeter in the headlight, with lights on and off?

Others will also chip in with ideas, this is just a start. Check the owner's manual too (available from the Archive)

Al

quote:
checked charge rate (6v system) only 5v going in battery
any ideas
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
Malleon

help

Post by Malleon »

Have a word with Dave Ashcroft at Scarisbrick; he's a wizard with electrickery. Ain't it the North West Section's club meeting tonight at The Bowling Green pub, Charnock Richard ? All the local experts will be there if you can find it!
Best regards.
en7jos

help

Post by en7jos »

Maybe something here to help:
http://www.matchlessclueless.com/how-to-guides/lucas/

Sounds like maybe dynamo not giving full output or regulator incorrectly set, perhaps.

James
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
Janet

help

Post by Janet »

Neilab, as I'm sure you know, the G2/M14 has a Wipac alternator system, not a Lucas dynamo so en7jos' 'clueless' writings are unlikely to assist greatly. You probably don't have a regulator either, as they were not fitted to these bikes, although it's worth putting one on while you're messing with the electrics to prevent future over-charging. I don't have the knowledge to tell anyone how to do things (I'm much better at telling people how not to do things ) so don't take what I say as fact but, if you have the manual as sold by Jampot Spares, you will find instructions on testing the Wipac alternator on page 78.

Edited for sloppy punctuation.

Edited by - Janet on 03 Nov 2011 06:16:45 AM
en7jos

help

Post by en7jos »

My mistake, please ignore the above, sorry!
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com