Getting her running

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
SideValve

Getting her running

Post by SideValve »

Tappets hitting the cover plate doesn't sound good. Push-rods too long? Wrong adjusters?
Peter W
Niceride

Getting her running

Post by Niceride »

Is there an image of what the adjusters should look like?
I have adjusted the length of them correctly so they spin freely when cold but are firm when warm - as I was replacing the cover when the bike was running i noticed that the tappets were knocking as I was trying to tighten the cover. I will take a look next time I get a chance to see if there is any marking inside the cover, if so I may make a thick gasket to space them out. Has anyone else had this problem?
cbranni

Getting her running

Post by cbranni »

Adjust the tappets when engine is warm and set them so you can just turn them by your fingers, do this at TDC on the firing stroke.Tappets knocking the cover??? I far as I know that cant happen, are you talking rocker box or tappet cover?
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Niceride

Getting her running

Post by Niceride »

The tappet cover (the one that comes off with 3 round headed nuts, 2 at the bottom and one at the top just under the tank). I will remove it again to check but I'm pretty sure something was hitting as I was putting it back on. I need to slacken them off a tiny bit as I thought they should just be tight at TDC when warm, not free spinning as they are at cold.
SPRIDDLER

Getting her running

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
I'm pretty sure something was hitting as I was putting it back on.
In which case when you've removed it you should see marks on the inside of the cover....
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Niceride

Getting her running

Post by Niceride »

quote:
quote:
I'm pretty sure something was hitting as I was putting it back on.
In which case when you've removed it you should see marks on the inside of the cover....

I will check next time I get a chance...
Niceride

Getting her running

Post by Niceride »

Passed the MOT today but twice on the 3 mile ride back the bike lost all power. I took the (new) spark plug out and checked it, it seemed fine. It was difficult to see if there was a spark in the bright Brighton sunshine but it wouldn't start when I tried to kick it.
Once the bike had cooled down a little it ran fine for half a mile or so then cut out again.
I replaced the condenser and I thought I had the timing pretty well adjusted before this.
Is there a common hot running fault that I should be aware of?
Janet

Getting her running

Post by Janet »

quote: Is there a common hot running fault that I should be aware of?Not as far as I know.
Niceride

Getting her running

Post by Niceride »

I'm thinking coil or plug as it seems to be fueling ok
cbranni

Getting her running

Post by cbranni »

Engine gets up to temp .........then stops, cools down and and then starts.........my humble opinion tappet too tight...........was the feel of compression on the kickstart the same when the engine stopped?
ie lack of compression
Could check filters in tank and in banjo and breather hole in petrol cap not blocked
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow