Getting her running

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
SPRIDDLER

Getting her running

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I agree with Colin. In your first post you said that they were 'firm when warm' ( ) so my initial guess is also tappet adjustment too tight as they should not be any 'firmer' when th'engine is warm/hot than when it's cold.
You're very welcome to come along to the Sussex section (see website 'Sections' page) and have a natter. I can't think of any lightweight members in our section but ignorance has yet to stop any us from pontificating
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Niceride

Getting her running

Post by Niceride »

I will try and make it along, when/where do you meet? I'm in Brighton but I work at Hurstpierpoint, it'd be great to meet you all.

It probably is the tappet, I'll take a look next time I get a chance which will most probably be next week now.
Thanks for all you help, such a great forum!Edited by - Niceride on 17 Nov 2011 10:40:06 PM

Getting her running

Post by 1608 »

I feel there is too much attention to getting tappets 'just right'. Old push rod engines cars and bikes will always be a bit rattly, just accept it and don't expect a silent engine. Tappets are better a little on the slack side than too tight. I believe your tappet clearance is too tight or you have a sticking valve.
Janet

Getting her running

Post by Janet »

I have the tappets set a bit rattly on all my bikes. Although they need to be tight enough to do their job, there is less chance of causing damage from expansion and I don't need to be a mechanical genius to get it 'near enough'. Working with two spanners through a small hole to adjust the tappets is awkward so once I've got it close I don't bother undoing the good work to try to get it perfect.
I'd suggest you start again from scratch with your tappet adjustment. I get the impression you set them cold whereas you should set them to spin freely with the engine hot.
SPRIDDLER

Getting her running

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
I work at Hurstpierpoint....

I live at Hurstpierpoint!

Small world, innit.

I'll send you a P.M. but see 'Sections' page on this site for meeting info.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
theroof

Getting her running

Post by theroof »

the same thing used to happen to my G2, run for a few miles then cut out, when cooled would start again. I dissmissed the obvious being the points because it would allways fire up first time but on checking the points they were almost closed,once re-set the problem has not occured since.
R.Grover
bjork

Getting her running

Post by bjork »

As Colin, Spriddler and 1608 John said, them there valve adjustments sound suspect. I suspect too tight too.
As for the valve cover hitting the valve gear??? pretty unlikely and I reckon more likely you were feeling crankcase breathing as the engine was running when you put the cover on. That's normal too, so don't worry about that
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Niceride

Getting her running

Post by Niceride »

Not the tappets! Loosened them off slightly so they are set correctly now. As soon as the bike gets warm all of a sudden there is no spark.
I'm getting frustrated now... I'm gunna try it with a new coil and check all the wiring, it has a new condenser. It's funny as it'll go and there will be power at the points, then all of a sudden there won't be. Earth is good from the battery... Gotta be the coil or a loose wire, unless there is something else I've missed?

took me 3 hours to cover 3 miles tonight.
paul knapp

Getting her running

Post by paul knapp »

Bypass the ignition wireing, switch etc and run a wire direct from the battery to the coil (opposite side to contact breaker wire).
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Tolly

Getting her running

Post by Tolly »

I would suspect the coil, if some how the cooling oil leaks out (maybe by a damaged outer case) these are the symptoms you get because the coil will overheat and break down until its cool again. Get a good quality coil when you replace.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.