Model 14 Engine Various

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
BigAl350

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by BigAl350 »

My Model 8 350 has run nicely on Super Unleaded for a couple of years now and around 2500 miles. I tend to use Super Unleaded as it may have less Ethanol in it. There are still a very few garages who sell 4* leaded petrol throughout the country - I have two within a few miles but don't bother to seek them out unless I'm up their way. Interesting article here about the use of unleaded fuel, which has a list of those garages still selling leaded petrol:

http://fbhvc.co.uk/fuel-information/#f2

Al

quote:
Hi everyone this is my first experience of the forum, I am sure I can find help.
I have a 1960 model 14 which I am refurbing. I am following the manual to remove the engine and have got stuck in trying to remove the gearbox mainshaft nut securing the clutch and also thenut securing the rotor to the engine shaft. Illustration fig 33 shows a what seems to be a clutch plate with an arm attached. Where can I get hold of one of these? OR do i need to un attach the gear box, can I remove engine & gearbox fogether from the frame easily?
My second query is I have been told I can convert from leaded petrol + additive to unleaded petrol by a small mad to valves/head. Is it that easy? Who does this ? Should I do it?
I am in the Dartford, Kent area.
Thanks for listening, all advice gratefully received, I am sure I will have many more questions !

Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)