Model 14 Engine Various

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Rogkid

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by Rogkid »

Hi everyone this is my first experience of the forum, I am sure I can find help.
I have a 1960 model 14 which I am refurbing. I am following the manual to remove the engine and have got stuck in trying to remove the gearbox mainshaft nut securing the clutch and also thenut securing the rotor to the engine shaft. Illustration fig 33 shows a what seems to be a clutch plate with an arm attached. Where can I get hold of one of these? OR do i need to un attach the gear box, can I remove engine & gearbox fogether from the frame easily?
My second query is I have been told I can convert from leaded petrol + additive to unleaded petrol by a small mad to valves/head. Is it that easy? Who does this ? Should I do it?
I am in the Dartford, Kent area.
Thanks for listening, all advice gratefully received, I am sure I will have many more questions !
Duncan

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by Duncan »

Roger

Welcome to the forum, unfortunately I cannot answer your Lightweight question but there are many who can.
As for converting to unleaded is not too difficult, just use the green pump at the petrol station. There are many here who do just that and have not experienced any problems.
Janet

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by Janet »

Regarding the tool that looks like a clutch plate, it is, but I think you have to make your own. It is possible to undo the nut without this tool.

Take one delicate little girl and one wild man of the woods. Wind in clutch adjusting screws as tightly as possible. Put bike in gear. Then delicate little flower stands on back brake pedal while wild man of the woods attaches spanner to centre nut and gives sharp tap with blunt object.

Repeat for alternator rotor.

It works for me.

Regarding the leaded/unleade thing, I've run my old bikes on unleaded without doing anything to them. Sometimes you need to change the valve seats but why not wait to see if they wear first? Depending hoe many miles you do, you may never ever need to.

bjork

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by bjork »

Janet, have you got one of those special sockets that goes through solid objects then?

Hi Rogkid, don't worry about the unleaded thing, as they said above it was all a big fuss about nothing. (Apart from making a few bob at the engineers shop)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
ajscomboman

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by ajscomboman »

You can't remove engine and g/box as one. After making the locking tool from 2 used clutch plates and a bit of bar you should be able to undo the clutch nut with a spark plug socket and rachet and aslo undo the rotor nut at the same time. After removing the g/box the motor can be removed but make sure you support the lower cradle and take the weight off the wheels as the frame will seperate/spread and evrything then ends up in a big heap.
Janet

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by Janet »

quote:
Janet, have you got one of those special sockets that goes through solid objects then? I don't understand. Would you care to explain what you mean. Perhaps I have misunderstood which nuts the OP was talking about.
wilko

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by wilko »

Bjork was stating how difficult it would be to undo the centre nut with the pressure plate still intact!
Janet

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by Janet »

quote:
Bjork was stating how difficult it would be to undo the centre nut with the pressure plate still intact!
Perhaps it would have been useful to say what he meant so no-one would read my post and got confused by trying to do the same. Anyone who takes notice of what I type is a fool but not everyone knows that when they first come here. Thank you for explaining it.

Right, to correct my previous post, what I said still stands for getting off the rotor.
To get the centre nut off, take off the pressure plate and just turn it off with a spanner. That must be the way because I don't have any special tool to assist. Well, there was Glyn who may be special but.......
bjork

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by bjork »

Morning Janet, explanation exactly as Wilko kindly said in my sleepytime absence. Maybe Glyn got you put the bike in gear while you stood on the brake pedal, all delicate and girlie like as you said. quote: t
quote:
Janet, have you got one of those special sockets that goes through solid objects then? I don't understand. Would you care to explain what you me an. Perhaps I have misunderstood which nuts the OP was talking about.

Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Rogkid

Model 14 Engine Various

Post by Rogkid »

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will try putting in gear and get someone to stand on the brake pedal while I remove the nuts (hopefully!). Will also use unleaded without engine mods.
Roger