Front Brake CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
StuBaker

Front Brake CSR

Post by StuBaker »

Having got a bike that now starts well, selects its gears and seems to go ok how do I make it stop properly? The front brake shoes are new and a tight fit in the drum but the cable seems very spongy. The normal model 14 cable doesn't fit, does anyone know if the standard model 16 cable fits the CSR as it has teledraulic forks. Also can anyone advis as to the routing of the cable, does it go inside the headlamp 'ears' to keep it out of the way?

Thanks
cbranni

Front Brake CSR

Post by cbranni »

I run mine behind the ears on both my lightweights, what cable are you using? I think it should be 026241 thats JSL number T781 MC507, for lightweights with teledraulic forks.
Have you centralised the shoes?,by the way mine are spongy but do stop the bike eventually!!!
Just my thoughts
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Front Brake CSR

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stu, As you probably know, the m14 & g2 have whats refered to as bantam type forks & wheel, the CSR versions, heavyweigth type forks and different wheel
I compared my 59/G2 with 66/G2CSR
G2 brake is on the left with differt cable adjuster fittings and brake anchor. CRS brake on the right and cable fitting& anchor more like a heavyweight.
You should find Cables as follows
M14 042547, M14 CSR 026241, M8/G5 026241
Rob Harknett

Front Brake CSR

Post by Rob Harknett »

PS,
Depending how clen your hands were putting on the new shoes depends how long you will need to clean up inside and bed in brake shoes. Drive with the brake on till it starts to bite.
Duncan

Front Brake CSR

Post by Duncan »

Stuart
Have a good look at the outer casing of your cable while you apply the brake, it is not unknown for it to compress and distort, is this happening to yours?
StuBaker

Front Brake CSR

Post by StuBaker »

Hi
Many thanks for all the advice, I think, as Duncan says, it may be the cable outer that is compressing. It's as if the brake is on but there is still movement in the lever. I had thought about driving with the brake on to bed in the shoes but it's very public round here and I don't have an MoT yet!
I'll try a new cable and let you know the result.
Edited by - StuBaker on 28 Nov 2011 5:31:25 PM