WAKEY WAKEY

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
borrowashboy

WAKEY WAKEY

Post by borrowashboy »

i thought a month without activity was long enough for this forum, so: does anybody know what the threaded holes in the end of the pillion footrest hangers are for? the ones i've got on the model 14 and the g2csr have both got them, but i'm blowed if i can work out what purpose they serve.
cheers, bb.
Rob Harknett

WAKEY WAKEY

Post by Rob Harknett »

Don't know if I've read this correct, however. The bolt is screwed in untill the footrest pinches, just enought to hold up, when not in use. The nut acts as a lock nut to keep this pinch tight possition. Without the threaded part, you would need a nut and locking nut the other end. That does not look so neat. I have had to resort to this when the threaded part has stripped threads. There would had been other options to overcome the stripped threads but hat was the lazy mans way. I did however use one correct nut cut in half to make 2 so they locked. A thin spanner to hold the inner nut to lock them/
Janet

WAKEY WAKEY

Post by Janet »

I think what bb is referring to is that the pillion footrests hangers point backwards and finish rather abruptly with, if I recall correctly (because I'm too lazy to go and look ), a hole in the end which doesn't appear to have a reason. I can't find any reference to it so could only think that originally it may have had a cover plate on the end.
Rob Harknett

WAKEY WAKEY

Post by Rob Harknett »

That threaded hole,OK, Its the bottom fixing for pannier frames which are an extra for the lightweigh. On heavy weights frames fit on the bolt that also holds the peg.
Rob Harknett

WAKEY WAKEY

Post by Rob Harknett »

If the hole realy bugs you put a nut on a bolt and screw it in the hole and youve got a couple of spare nuts & bolts.
borrowashboy

WAKEY WAKEY

Post by borrowashboy »

hi rob, no mate, the holes don't bug me at all. i just wondered what on earth they were for, as there seems no reason for them. as far as i know the 250 wasn't even supposed to have pillion footrests, they were an optional extra. so why the threaded holes?
cheers, bb.
borrowashboy

WAKEY WAKEY

Post by borrowashboy »

i have it! there should be a right angled bracket bolted to each footrest. it's in the form of a bar which sits at the back of the passengers feet/ankles, thereby stopping them slipping off the footrests under the tremendous g force of acceleration from zero.
or did i dream it?
cheers, bb.
Janet

WAKEY WAKEY

Post by Janet »

quote:
i have it! there should be a right angled bracket bolted to each footrest. it's in the form of a bar which sits at the back of the passengers feet/ankles, thereby stopping them slipping off the footrests under the tremendous g force of acceleration from zero.
or did i dream it?
cheers, bb.
No, it can't be that. Everyone knows that when on full acceleration it's the passenger's head that tips backwards and their feet fly forward and up in the air to be caught under the rider's armpits.
borrowashboy

WAKEY WAKEY

Post by borrowashboy »

that's it then. manacles
Rob Harknett

WAKEY WAKEY

Post by Rob Harknett »

you seem to have missed something. I did say the holes are for the bottom fixing point for optional panniers. Its where the pannier frame fits on at the bottom.