help please. fork lower bush

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
borrowashboy

Post by borrowashboy »

after spending several hours stripping the [old norton jubilee style] front forks on my m14, i have now got the stantions apart from the bottoms. the top bush [bronze] is a sliding fit, that one is no problem. the steel one at the bottom is a different animal. does it push on? does it screw on? either way, i cannot move the damned things and don't want to damage anything doing something rash. god knows what is down the fork bottoms, but these two bushes have deep grooves down the front face. and i mean DEEP. they look like gear teeth all help on how to remove them gratefully accepted. if i get chance i'll take a photo of them and upload it.
cheers, bb.
wilko

Post by wilko »

If they're anything like the shuttle valve arrangement on the heavyweights, sometimes that bush is practically welded to the tube. I butchered one even with heat trying to remove it, and didn't succeed.Maybe leave it on and just linish it.
borrowashboy

Post by borrowashboy »

hi wilko, after much heat and large hammer and small sharp chisel it finally tapped off. believe me, it was well beyond linishing, which was why i wasn't that bothered about chiselling it off. fork legs are good, with no scoring, so just need to replace the bushes with nice new ones. thanks anyway. oddly enough the steel bush was chamfered both ends and the only replacements i've seen aren't.
cheers, bb.
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

I think the"much heat" was the key - I read somewhere that they're silver soldered on.
Peter W
borrowashboy

Post by borrowashboy »

funnily enough peter, that's exactly what it looks like under the bottom bushes. no wonder they were a cow to shift
cheers, bb.