g2 gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
lovemotorbikes

g2 gearbox

Post by lovemotorbikes »

hey folks, i,m rebuilding my lightweight g.box, and can,t make head or tails of the instructions for indexing the selectors before assembly,can get it together, but no aparent gears ,i bought the bike as a three dimentional jigsaw, e.ngine built so making progress,help anyone ??dave
Rob Harknett

g2 gearbox

Post by Rob Harknett »

lovemotorbikes

g2 gearbox

Post by lovemotorbikes »

hey rob, thanks for that, i,ve cpoied it and will follow it,...let you know how i get on,..dave
lovemotorbikes

g2 gearbox

Post by lovemotorbikes »

hey peeps, i,ve studdied the info and the bit that confuses me isnt really covered, that is,indexing the selector forks befor fitting the cover so the change mechanism is correct,ive tried several combinations with no luck,maybe its me, and its blindingly obvious,.....dave
SideValve

g2 gearbox

Post by SideValve »

Can you take a picture of the bit you're havig problems with? Speaks a thousand words :¬)
Peter W
lovemotorbikes

g2 gearbox

Post by lovemotorbikes »

i,ll do that, my daughter is here to help me, god ,...help with the box ,and help with the photo, ha ha ,i,m redundant
Ozmadman

g2 gearbox

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi

I have just done my mod 8 L/W box and yes the manual isn't clear on this. Firstly make sure the right selector fork is on the right set of gears (ie layshaft set and mainshaft set) as they are different !!! I worked out which was which purely by matching up the wear marks on the corresponding parts. I then assembled all the gears vertically on the intermediate thin casing, fitting the selector forks in the slots in the respective gears and then the segment assembly complete (the heavy bit with the slots in) so that the pins in the selector forks locate in the grooves(you may have to manipulate then a bit to get them both to fit in) If you are careful it will all remain together.. then get the main casing(should have the mainshaft output gear in it)and screw the rod which goes through the selector forks into the casing. Now the tricky bit, lower the main casing down over the assembled gears whilst lining up the mainshaft into the output gear and the gear selector rod through the selectors, with a bit of twiddling about it will drop down and its done. I did mine on the second attempt ... Good luck PaulEdited by - Ozmadman on 14 Feb 2012 3:47:05 PM
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed