g2 charging problem

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
mitz

g2 charging problem

Post by mitz »

Hi new here ive just aquired a 1962 g2 it has not been ran since 2001 after cleaning out pet tank and new pet pipes and new battery 6v she fired up second kick sounds great no bad noises etc but battery dosent seem to charge,
i notice it has been fitted with a solid state rectifier think thats wired correctly but still no charge to battery can anyone tell me what volts i should get from the alternator i have 4 wires of one i pressume is from the distributor which is coloured redish the others are:-
orange
light green
white
can anyone tell me what volts i should get from them and where they are positioned on the solid state rectifier,
also the engine number is different from the log book it reads i think g2 csr/14401? which engine is this please.
i am confused with which model i have if i give the frame number and date of registration would someone be able to tell me please.

many thanks,
Tony.Edited by - mitz on 31 Mar 2012 6:03:56 PMEdited by - mitz on 31 Mar 2012 6:08:20 PMEdited by - mitz on 01 Apr 2012 4:28:25 PM
en7jos

g2 charging problem

Post by en7jos »

Hi Mitz,

Have a search in the forum (click 'Forum' then 'Search' at the top of the page) and it should bring up lots of previous posts on the topic which might give you some clues whilst you await suggestions here.

Also, might be useful to identify what make / type of solid state reg fitted as the wiring colours seem to vary quite a lot.

As for charging voltage, 14.7v is about the ideal charging voltage for a "12v" battery, so by dividing by two, around 7.3v would be about right for a "6v" battery.

Hope this helps, James
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
en7jos

g2 charging problem

Post by en7jos »

Still a bit lonely here Mitz?

quote: Mitz: i am confused with which model i have if i give the frame number and date of registration would someone be able to tell me please.

Do you know about the club's machine dating service? See details here. Might help you to work out what is or isn't correct on your machine.

Also, have you come across Christian's Archives yet? (see here). Have a good search and you will find lots of useful info about your G2, charging system, owners manuals, etc that might help you answer your questions.

Regards, James
bigwol

g2 charging problem

Post by bigwol »

Sorry i cant be of much help Mitz, as i know little about any of the bikes and naff all about the light weights!
I do know that the 250csr is the more sought after version though so if your frame is right for the engine and is a csr you have done well!
There was a recent posting on charging issues and solid state reg, a forum search will probably turn it up and it may well answer all your questions.
It's all just riding motorbikes
Janet

g2 charging problem

Post by Janet »

First, the high pressure sales pitch. Have you considered joining the club? You get all the advantages of being able to suffer verbal abuse here together with the added luxury of paying a membership fee for the pleasure. Oh, and there's a magazine, and a spares scheme, and some rallies, and section meetings and runs out and all those boring sociable things.

Regarding your numbers, I have a G2CSR from 1964 and the engine number is earlier than yours. I'm as sure as I can be that my engine hasn't been changed at any time (it's had three previous owners and I know two of them ) which suggests that your engine has been changed. This isn't a big problem as long as you know, for obtaining parts, or if any future purchaser wants an original bike for which they pay more money.

Regarding your electrics, I'm no expert ( as everyone here will confirm ) but may I ask a question?
When you turn on the lights without the bike running, does it show a big discharge on your ammeter? It should, of course, because it's drawing power from the battery and nothing is going in.
When the engine is running and you turn on your lights, is it showing the same discharge? If it's not so bad, there must be some charge going in. Mine, on which I replaced most of the electrics last year for various reasons, doesn't show much of a charge at all, but when the lights are on, the needle doesn't drop either. Having recently ridden with lights on for about 8 hours, the battery was still fine, so I think it's charging OK.

Pause in typing while Janet rushes out to garage to check lights are still working on battery power alone. Confirmed so it must be charging.

My ammeter is a replacement and I don't think it's particularly accurate. The needle rests showing a charge when it's not connected to anything at all, so I tend to go by whether it moves from that point and whether my lights go out.

Having said that, there is a way of checking each circuit from the ammeter but I haven't yet understood the instructions for the tester, let alone which wires you do what with. That's OK, though, because I'm only a girl* and girls don't know anything about technical stuff.
*Yes, well, perhaps I am a little old to be called a girl but compared with some of the people here, I'm not long out of my pram.
mitz

g2 charging problem

Post by mitz »

Hi first of all thanks guys and gals for all the answers
ok first it looks like i have a csr engine possibly a later one the frame number dosent start with csr its just a string of i think 5 numbers the bike is dated first registration 02/04/1962 and ive just noticed its its 50th birthdayTODAYif i post my frame number would someone be able to tell from that?
right then the charging issue ive removed the clutch cover today and low and behold the crank nut has come undone and fell off therefore it looks like the rotor has come loose and sheared the woodruff key in half but there appears to be no damage so will repair that at the weekend and see if that cures the charging problem which i think it will cause looking at the recepits i have it has had a new alternator fitted,it hasnt been on the road since 2001.
also on this matter is there supposed to be a locking tab washer inbetween the rotor and the nut? as there wasnt one to be found anywhere.
and i will get round to joining soon as payday comes around
thanks,
Tony.
ps. can i post a pic on this section of the bike would prob help identifying it if so which image site is best suited for this?
en7jos

g2 charging problem

Post by en7jos »

Well happy birthday to your G2! Oh how the years fly by hey....

Have a look in the parts lists (from the archives I linked to above, make sure you get the right year for your engine) and you might be able to confirm the presence or not of a lock washer. I know nothing of your bike, but would have thought that the crank nut having come off would surely be a sign of something missing or not right!

You can indeed post a picture in the forum and there are some instructions how to do so here:
How to post pictures in the forum
There is also the facility to host the pictures on this web site itself (see 'Photos' heading in menu at top of the page), but you'll need to wait a day or two for them to be approved before they appear.

And as Janet so eloquently suggested, do please join the club when you can. The help you receive and discount on the club's spares scheme will save you the small membership fee many times over, so a very worthwhile investment indeed.

Regards, James
bigwol

g2 charging problem

Post by bigwol »

Your frame will not have a csr prefix, the clubs dating service is the only way to properly identify it's designation when it left the factory. if it matters to you then pay the fee and you will get a dating certificate (always useful to have) and know as much about the origins of your bike as possible.
It's all just riding motorbikes
mitz

g2 charging problem

Post by mitz »

my bike

what model?
as you can see it dosent have an air filter on has anyone a pic of air filter or know which one it needs as i cannot see it in the manuals.Edited by - mitz on 03 Apr 2012 10:32:11 PM
Janet

g2 charging problem

Post by Janet »

I don't have an air filter on mine, but the carb has a long bellmouth that goes behind the side panel covering the coil. This is useful for when it unscrews itself as it is collected there so doesn't get lost. If anyone has the same problem, I find a dab of non-hardening gasket goo on the threads prevents this but can easily be removed when wanted.

From your engine number, you have the CSR but all the rest appears to be the earlier version. Therefore you are probably on the G2 clutch. The G2CSR used the G5 clutch which has an extra plate. Knowing this won't matter until you need any parts.

Don't touch anything if it doesn't need it. The lightweights can be difficult to keep set up properly so if it's working fine now, don't change it.