G2 csr oil

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
mitz

G2 csr oil

Post by mitz »

Hi before anyone asks ive done a search and im still confused,
recommended oil for a G2
would this be suitable Castrol GP50 low detergent as i see a lot of them now are just low detergent.
or do i need detergent free,
thanks,
Tony.
Merlin

G2 csr oil

Post by Merlin »

another one for the troll in the bat cave.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Ian5913

G2 csr oil

Post by Ian5913 »

I have a model 8 350, I use straight 40 in the gearbox and in the chain case (Clutch and alternator side) I use multigrade in the motor normally GTX. I clean the filter every 6 months and change the oil at the same time. I ran supermarket oil in the engine for ages with no visible or audible effects. I also run on unleaded petrol and have done so since it was launched I have never used additives and have not witnessed valve seat issues. I would stress I do not ride VERY fast these days and do not do high mileage I would say just less than 4k a year tops.

I hope this helps

Ian
bigwol

G2 csr oil

Post by bigwol »

quote:
another one for the troll in the bat cave.

He can't be awake yet!
It's all just riding motorbikes
Janet

G2 csr oil

Post by Janet »

I use Castrol GP50 in mine for engine, gearbox and chaincase. This means I only need to carry one type when I'm out on a long run.
I think the problem with detergent is when it goes in an old engine has had decades of crud lodging in all sorts of nooks and crannies. The detergent shifts it so it circulates around the engine. If there isn't a decent filter, it can get to the oilways and block them. An engine that has been stripped down and cleaned out shouldn't have that problem.

As a member here once told me, though, "Any oil is better than no oil."
Ian5913

G2 csr oil

Post by Ian5913 »

i might just add the proviso any clean oil is better than no oil!
BigAl350

G2 csr oil

Post by BigAl350 »

I use a straight SAE 50 in box, chaincase and engine. My Model 8 runs nicely on this, and appreciates the heavier oil when town riding in the summer - there's only about 2.5 pints of oil in the oil tank and its position inside the engine cover means it runs HOT.

I generally recommend that people use a low-detergent, straight oil and change it often. Multigrade may well be suitable, but the Lightweights only have primitive oil filters so these COULD block fairly easily if the detergent oil causes combustion particles to stick together and form sludge. I'd like to experiment more with alternative oils in the future, so may change my thinking!

Al
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)