Another one back on the road

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Just back from the MoT station (Woodford Motorcycles, N London, £20 only for all classics). Out of breath due to the newly refurbished bike conking out on the way back and having to push it for the final quarter of a mile (lightweight?!. Stalling on pulling away then finally refusing to re-start. Pulled well on larger throttle openings.

Checked plug on return, sooty black.

Is that enough to cause the issues or should I look elsewhere? Will celebrate the pass tonight and then get fettling tomorrow.

Stu
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Check the main jet - it might have come loose and droped out.

Ian
Ian5913

Post by Ian5913 »

Check the basics. Has it a spark, is fuel getting through.Is the timing right. Have the valves closed up. Is the alternator charging.
Then If it starts in the morning is oil circulating or does the tank vapour lock (Cap vent hole blocked!) after a while.

Are the problems caused by time (length of run to the mot testers) or heat caused by a long run.

Now its on the road lets keep it there!

Good luck Ian (No 2)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Checked plug on return, sooty black.

Not oil contamination (shiny black) after the bike's been unused is it?

Don't waste your time ars*ing about 'cleaning' the plug; investigate and sort the rich running and fit a new one. Buy two so that you'll have a spare.
I used to have a boxfull of old plugs which I probably didn't put there as they were too good to use. I fancied they'd "come in handy as spares" but I only resorted to them when I suspected the in-use one was duff. Result? Spending shed time struggling to revive a dead bike with a boxfull of previously rejected plugs. Daft, innit?
Go on, treat yourself.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
beesy

Post by beesy »

it's just teething trouble when putting it back on the road, you can't test everything properly until you get it mot'd and get some miles clocked up.

congratulations on mission accomplished, great feeling when someone else signs off all your hard work isn't it?

StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Many thanks for all the encouragement. It started again when cold so I think it's just a bit of tuning needed on the pilot jet. I'll let you know how I get on after a few more rides.
Stu