Pawl Spring

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Eder

Pawl Spring

Post by Eder »

Hi, I recently changed the pawl spring on my AJS 14 CSR after it became difficult to change up the gears. When I refitted the outer cover I immediately did a function test and all was well however when I took the bike for a test run, although I am able to go up through the gears, changing down from 3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st is hit and miss. There is no problem with changing from 4th to 3rd.

The photo in the Workshop Instruction Manual is not very clear as regards to which way the spring should be inserted i.e. with the straight leg uppermost or vice versa. I fitted it with the straight leg up uppermost after reading that this is how it is fitted in a heavyweight gearbox.

No doubt the problem is down to an incorrectly fitted pawl spring, so before a strip it down, are there any 'Top Tips' for this procedure.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie
E Frazer
Ian5913

Pawl Spring

Post by Ian5913 »

I have never had one with a straight edge, so this could be the problem. See this link it gives a clearer idea if you enlarge it. http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_l ... e_View.pdf
Hope this helps

Ian
Eder

Pawl Spring

Post by Eder »

Hi Ian, thanks for your swift reply. I got the replacement pawl spring from the club spares scheme, they have never let me down yet but I suppose there is a first time for everything. The spring I received has one leg which is straight whilst the other one has a slight bend (inwards towards the straight leg) just over 1/2 way down its length.

Regards,

Eddie
E Frazer
Eder

Pawl Spring

Post by Eder »

Hi, having looked into this further, I found the following link in another topic:
http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Tra ... ebuild.pdf

When I opened this document, picture 43 has an very clear shot of the pawl spring. In this photo it appears that there is a collar on the foot change sleeve to locate the coiled end of the spring, if this is so, then I am in trouble because no such collar exists on my foot change sleeve. Has anyone else come across this problem?

Regards

Eddie

E Frazer
spitfire

Pawl Spring

Post by spitfire »

Hi, you need to have the collar fitted as this stops the coiled end of the spring from moving side to side as you change gear, without this collar you will be lucky to get any gears at all. the pawl spring should be as in the photo with both legs slightly bent, even if you have the wrong spring it still wont work properly without the collar. i dont think that you can buy the collar new anywhere, but i could be wrong, your best bet is to try steven surbey at amc classic spares.
Ian5913

Pawl Spring

Post by Ian5913 »

Eder

Just to confirm are you on about these two pieces. https://picasaweb.google.com/1050863888 ... 4571946706

See photo link

Thanks Ian
Eder

Pawl Spring

Post by Eder »

Hi, thanks for all the replies, the cupped/tabbed washer in your photo Ian is what I was missing, I was able to ascertain that from the diagram that you sent me. When I pulled the outer cover off the pawl spring made a bid for freedom, as did the washer but I did not see it scoot across the floor. I found the washer yesterday, refitted it last night and had full function. I had the bike out for test run today and all is fine. I am heading up to the NW 200 races on it at the weekend (DV).

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

Eddie
E Frazer
Ian5913

Pawl Spring

Post by Ian5913 »

No worries, luckily the shed had undergone a tidy up and I knew where the required parts were to be able to photo them. Glad you found it and its worked for you

Ian