Clutch basket nut

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Nigel Leppard

Clutch basket nut

Post by Nigel Leppard »

Hi friends,
I'm rebuilding a G8 - 350 and have just finished the clutch. The question I have is this, have you recommendations on how tight to nip up the clutch basket nut ? (There is no locking tap)
Also how tight should the rotor nut be?
Cracking forum with some great information.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
56G80S

Re: Clutch basket nut

Post by 56G80S »

In my early days with the AMC box I had a problem with the nut coming loose. I now know that wasn't unusual. Useful to not that, from memory, if yuo have the long box steel type plug spanner it fits the nut and will just allow you to nip up in case of loosening when out and about.

I resorted to cleaning the threads thoroughly, applying some loctite and using a heavy spring washer, the single cut across type, not the crush type.

I then had no problems. There are plenty of threads on the forum about these matters, worth a search particularly if you come across the "binding" problem (hope not).

Johnny B
Nigel Leppard

Post by Nigel Leppard »

Thanks for taking the time to reply, that's the way to go as it seems a black art on some of these things !
Last question as this seems to be a thread of discussions, if my photo uploads correctly you can see a large washer that was sitting between the primary gear and the rotor. Is this correct or should it sit between the case and the rotor as a shim to aid the alignment between the primary gear and the clutch basket?
Sorry again for the questions but I couldn't find the discussion thread from last night !

Nigel Leppard

Post by Nigel Leppard »

Sorry I meant should it sit between the case and the primary gear.

56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Nigel, can't help with that. LOng time since I had an alternator AMC. I do have an AMC gearbox retro fitted to my dynamo/ Burman gearbox machine though.

Johnny B
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

There shouldn't be a washer/shim there. To the best of my knowledge, this is the correct arrangement:
lightweight_main_bearings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

PS: a bit of threadlock on the crank nut & clutch centre nut should help them stay tight.
1993 Ducati 750SS
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

PPS: make sure you get the sprocket on the right way round! The longer side is towards the OUTSIDE, away from the crank. It looks wrong, but it's right.
It's common for it to be put on the wrong way round, then people add washers & stuff so the chain doesn't foul the alternator rotor...
1993 Ducati 750SS
Nigel Leppard

Post by Nigel Leppard »

clanger9 wrote:PPS: make sure you get the sprocket on the right way round! The longer side is towards the OUTSIDE, away from the crank. It looks wrong, but it's right.
It's common for it to be put on the wrong way round, then people add washers & stuff so the chain doesn't foul the alternator rotor...
Thanks clanger, I'll have to pull the basket off again and check but I'm sure the gear is on the correct way. I did photograph the strip down at each stage so the PO had obviously had problems. Mind you I've found all sorts of bodges so this is no surprise.