Knocking noise also but on a model 8

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Knocking noise also but on a model 8

Post by Ozmadman »

JohnHewes wrote:Do the radiator first, then put the bike in the bedroom and sort it in comfort.
No I wouldn't get away with that either!
John
I can get away with anything, I live on my own!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

If it is just the small end bush/pin etc can I do it in situ?

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8

Post by 1608 »

Yes, but you need to draw the old bush out and obviously not try and knock it out. I made a mandrel etc ( on my hobby lathe ) for the job, simply uses a nut and bolt. As I'm possibly your nearest port of call you are welcome to borrow it, if the s/end is to problem of course. I believe your small end ( no joke intended) is 7/8" ?
Also presses new bush into place.

Edit, thats the gudgeon pin size of course, but I think the eye in the con-rods are the same.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

1608 wrote:Yes, but you need to draw the old bush out and obviously not try and knock it out. I made a mandrel etc ( on my hobby lathe ) for the job, simply uses a nut and bolt. As I'm possibly your nearest port of call you are welcome to borrow it, if the s/end is to problem of course. I believe your small end ( no joke intended) is 7/8" ?

Edit, thats the gudgeon pin size of course, but I think the eye in the con-rods are the same.
Thanks John, very kind offer, will keep that in mind, I am hoping that it is that, don"t really need an expensive engine rebuild at the moment. Have you done one of these and if so where did you get the bush? Colin B on here advises that an adjustable reamer is needed as well to get the correct size.

Thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8

Post by 1608 »

I renewed the bush on my 18s some months ago. I had a spare I picked up at an auto jumble. I borrowed an expanding reamer, used very carefully and reversed the reamer (ie. worked from the n/s and then the o/s of the bike) just to make sure in case there was any bias in the reamer blades. But, I removed very little material.I have heard that a reamer isn't always needed though.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

1608 wrote:I renewed the bush on my 18s some months ago. I had a spare I picked up at an auto jumble. I borrowed an expanding reamer, used very carefully and reversed the reamer (ie. worked from the n/s and then the o/s of the bike) just to make sure in case there was any bias in the reamer blades. But, I removed very little material.I have heard that a reamer isn't always needed though.
Thanks, when I did my gearbox I found that I could "free up" any tight bushes just using a drill and very fine preformed sanding cylinders, the ones that fit over a cylindrical rubber arbor. A few ins and outs with that will take a minuscule amount off and then a polish with a similar thing but in felt using a bit of solvol autosol. Depending how much needs to come off I suppose as usually, once you press the bush in it "squashes".

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8

Post by 1608 »

I wouldn't recommend using any abrasives. The grit particles can become embebed in the relatively soft bronze bush causing rapid wear on any shaft etc.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Good point! Just need to actually find out what it is first. Will keep the thread posted when I find time to start dismantling it..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Ozmadman wrote:Good point! Just need to actually find out what it is first. Will keep the thread posted when I find time to start dismantling it..

Paul
Ok, dodging the rain I have been outside to start to search for my knocking sound, haven't done much but I took the rocker cover off and all is fine there (I rebuilt that less than 500 miles ago with new bushes and seals so no play or anything amiss.) Looking at the workings of the rockers and particularly the exhaust one which has the valve lifter option is it possible that my noise could be the exhaust rocker hitting the lifter spindle?? Positioning the rockers as they appear on the bike when it is assembled leaves hardly any room for error here it seems. With the bike assembled the lever lifts the rocker and returns and the bike has good compression but how can I tell that in operation that the rocker arm is not bouncing off the lifter spindle?? Need to investigate this before further possibly unnecessary work

thanks

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Paul, while the rocker cover is off, have a look and see if anything is touching it on the inside.

Rob C