Various Questions

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Various Questions

Post by Ozmadman »

Remington wrote:Paul,
My bike was released in to the big wide world on 7th July 1960 although I don't know if this is considered to be an early model with a ball type inner bearing - the engine doesn't emit any nasty noises so a missing breather rotor would presumably not cause any real issue. If the breather tube only was missing then the engine should not lock up, should it, or am I talking rubbish here?
Hi, Mine is the 1st April 1960 and when I took it apart it had the old style inner bearing so presumably yours has too unless it has been changed at a later date? The workshop manual mentions the later bearing so the mod must be an old mod??.
If the breather tube was missing the stator would rattle around like hell and make a noise I would imagine because that is all that holds it in place but that alone would not make the engine lock up.
Remington wrote: Could it be, on the other hand, that a problem exists with the bearings similar to that described by Colin in an earlier post? Would over tightening the alternator rotor nut (we destroyed the primary chain trying to free it) cause damage to a bearing or breather rotor, or would this not be possible? There is no doubt that work is required and an engine strip down should reveal the problem, whatever it may be.
Can't remember what Colin had said but, presuming you have nothing missing, as you tighten the alternator rotor nut it pulls the whole crank towards that side of the engine so from the outside... the sprocket hits the inner track of the outer bearing, the rota fixed to the crank then hits the other side of the outer bearing inner track... the inner bearing inner track is pulled up against the other end of the crankshaft rota and finally the flywheel is pulled up against the other end of the inner bearing inner track. This leaves no free play and I would be surprised (as everything in there is quite substantial) if any problem could be caused by over tightening the alternator rota nut, I reckon you would strip the thread on the nut first.
My opinion on this locking up problem from what I have seen having had my engine apart is 1) Either a missing crank rota which will allow the flywheel on that side to jam against the outer track of the inner bearing or even the engine casing causing the lock up or 2) A missing rota AND stator (probably not likely)which would allow the inner bearing to be pulled too far into the casing allowing again for the flywheel on that side to jam against the engine casing. Can't see anything else that would lock the engine just by tightening that nut.. UNLESS.. the crank pin nut on that side has come loose and is protruding beyond the face of the flywheel and is rubbing on the casing which I doubt...have a look at the picture, this shows the timing side of the flywheel but the nut is the same on the other side..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Paul, definatly time to acknowledge you are becoming the 'light weight sage' What with no shed etc! Did you have any luck in getting a lock up?
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Paul is doing a grand job................just as well as I just got out of hospital after having a heart attack in work, my boys have hidden the shed key and banned me from all activities for a month..............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Colin.............fed up and full of bloody pills
only dead fish go with the flow
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Wish you a speedy recovery, really, t'is a good idea to keep out of shed for the time being and get fit for spring.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

saltbox alf wrote:Paul, definatly time to acknowledge you are becoming the 'light weight sage' What with no shed etc! Did you have any luck in getting a lock up?
Thanks Alf, there are some lock ups about half a mile from me, with security gate access which cost about £60 a month but I am on a limited budget and can't justify it unless I can make it pay for itself somehow. I was thinking of doing a bike up here and there to make a few bob as I was out of work but I now have part time job(20 hrs a week) at the local B&Q warehouse and what with family responsibilities and doing my own bike etc I may just not have the time
My lightweight is still waiting for me to work on it, the bottom half of the engine is in now (no barrel or head on yet) and well protected against the elements but the weather is stopping me( not worried about the cold , it's the rain!!!) I need to get it done my the end of March as the MOT is due and on the 6th April the club has a stand down Southend seafront (400 metres from my house) so I want to take it down there an possibly meet a few members.
Paul
1960 Model 8
RAY BOWMAN

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

Hi Paul
Hoping to to make the 6th April meet on my Lightweight see you there.
Ray.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

RAY BOWMAN wrote:Hi Paul
Hoping to to make the 6th April meet on my Lightweight see you there.
Ray.
Look forward to it..
Paul
1960 Model 8
Remington

Post by Remington »

Hello Paul,

Many thanks again - apart from exploded diagrams I have never actually seen a photograph of the flywheel set up. Now I understand! It all looks quite sturdy and the crankpin nut may have worked loose although this should produce a knocking noise, I would imagine, and my engine runs quietly, internally at least. I'll continue investigating until the problem has been resolved.

Colin, dreadful news - sincerely hope that all is well and that you are now on the steady road to recovery. I'm sure the shed will look after itself for a while and you need to be fully fit and recovered before unlocking the door again - the urge to 'get back to normal' as quickly as possible is very strong although should be ignored until you really are back to full strength (speaking from mild experience but nothing as serious as a heart attack). The pills probably are doing good but I can understand your sentiments - I wouldn't enjoy taking them either although they are there for a reason.

Anyway, Spring is on the way and time then to fire up the bike (yours, that is) and take it for a spin............................the very best of luck to you.
Remington

Post by Remington »

An update-

Following Paul's advice I removed the gearbox cover plate today and have discovered that the breather tube end nut is firmly in place and I am therefore assuming that the breather tube is still where it should be together with the stator and, hopefully, the rotor. If this unit is still correctly attached then the problem must sit somewhere else.....? Could a bearing not have been replaced properly some time in the past and now binds if the rotor nut is tightened up, or could it simply be that I have replaced a shim (between chain sprocket and inner case wall) which wasn't there originally? This shouldn't lock the engine up though, unless something else is amiss. More investigating needed.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi
If the nut is there then the tube is in place as it is all in one piece and yes you are right.. the shims, if needed, will just space the sprocket so you can line up the primary chain, the diameter of them should just be wide enough to rest on the inner track of the bearing behind the sprocket so they would not cause the locking up. I don't use any shims as my chain is in line without them but I do have a slight peculiarity with mine in as much as I have 3 shims between the alternator rotor and sprocket because without them the primary chain rubs on the rota as can be seen by the indentations in it. Maybe I have the wrong rotor but it charges fine and doesn't rub on anything so it's going back as it was. I presume you have the sprocket on the right way round? and it is the correct sprocket? it should have the extended part facing toward the bearing. Here's a few pics of my rotor and sprocket...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ozmadman on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8