rear brake plate/spigot repair

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

rear brake plate/spigot repair

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi
Can anyone give me ideas as to the best way to repair wear in the spigot on the swing arm on a model 8 which at the moment is causing a clonk every time the rear brake is applied? I thought at first it was wear in the slot on the brake plate but having got hold of a good plate it now looks a thought it is the spigot on the swing arm. Also, the slot in the brake plate has parallel sides but the spigot on the frame looks like it is tapered in both directions(left to right and outside to inside). Should it be parallel also or should there be a slight taper to allow it to tighten up on the plate as you do up the wheel? I don't really want to take the swing arm off if possible(how easy is that anyway?) to get it welded but there is stacks of play between plate and spigot. Any ideas, even thought of trying to make some kind of stay similar to what the old Jap bikes had. One my old plate which is well worn I have already tried to drill a small hole in the top part of the plate(into the slot) with the intention of putting a screw in there so once fitted, the screw could be tightened and this would put pressure ion the spigot on the frame and stop any rotation!! good idea but the tap snapped in the hole and I am back to square one. I have added a picture of the good plate, the chips are just paint. In theory my screw idea would work but i can risk ruining my good plate..

many thanks

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
dansofield550

Re: rear brake plate/spigot repair

Post by dansofield550 »

hello, my swingarm and i guess yours too is a two part type with a cotter pin on the chain side, look underneath and you'll see the nut, i guess you should be able to knock this out and draw that half off? never done it mind! but thats how i looks.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Paul the swing arm lug looks tapered to my eye so of course its not. I have attached a couple of photos, the lug is 16mm at both ends ( sorry its in metric).

You might try putting the bike on the stand with the wheel off the ground , release the spindle nut spin the wheel, apply the brake so the back plate assumes its natural position and then with the brake on tighten up the spindle nut. Possibly a two man job.

I have used slivers of copper to pack things out in the past.
IMG_0857 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0857 (640x480).jpg
Cheers

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks Steve, very helpful! Just looking at your pics, is that a nut in the centre of the lug ?? Mine is covered in paint etc so can't tell
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Paul its not easy to tell through the powder coating. However i have another frame & swinging arm down the shed, and looking at it i would say the lug may have been screwed on to the suspension unit pin then the whole thing brazed into place. My sheds a dark place so in the morning i'll get the frame out wire brush the lug and post some pics.

Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

thanks
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Ok Paul, cleaned up its pretty obvious that the fitting is a brazed up job see pictures.
IMG_0316a (640x627).jpg
IMG_0316a (640x627).jpg
IMG_0316a (640x627).jpg

Cheers
Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks Steve for the great pictures... well, looks like I might just have to take the arm off and take it along with the brake plate to somewhere??? and get it welded to fit. Anyone know of someone who could do this?? Had a local guy a while ago weld my side stand bracket and he just botched it, welded it exactly where I told him not to so it wouldn't fit flush against the lower frame and by the time I had filed most of the weld off to fit it, it snapped again, causing my newly painted bike to fall to the ground...won't be using him for anything any more..

Thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Unless someone has a ns arm with a good spigot going spare??
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Is anyone willing to put some weld on the spigot if I take the arm off and send it?, then I can file it down to suit

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8