rear brake plate/spigot repair

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Rangy65

Re: rear brake plate/spigot repair

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Paul can't help you with the welding. There is a complete frame with swinging arm on ebay item no 111263214760. Its up for £24. If you are interested and bid i could collect it for you as i work in Leeds 2 or 3 times a week so its not too far out of my way to nip to York on the way home.

Boston Lincs is still a fair way from you but i would be willing to meet you halfway somewhere along the A1 for instance.

See what you think

Cheers
Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks Steve for your very kind offer, much appreciated. Yes I did see that on there but I don't have any car transport at all. I was wondering whether to contact the seller to see if he would sell me the arm only if the frame doesn't sell

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

i maybe able to help with the welding and finishing to size etc, my number at work is 01322665430, its called new tech tools , ask for me , dan
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

dansofield550 wrote:i maybe able to help with the welding and finishing to size etc, my number at work is 01322665430, its called new tech tools , ask for me , dan
Thanks Dan
I have just got the swing arm off (got to shoot off to work in a Mo) here are a few quick pictures I took, you can see now why I have got problems!! I will give you a ring probably Monday if thats ok?

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi.. to add, has anyone got the felt washer that goes on the frame where the pivot arm pushes on? No-one seems to stock this (042362) and mine is knackered. Or, anyone got a work around??

Thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

Hi Paul, that's a lot of wear but fixable I think, the felt washers look a bit easy to make maybe a hobby craft type shop for the felt I have some hole punches not sure of the size though.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Neoprene or nitrile O ring is the better option. I used an O ring from a box of Imperial ones I had lying around and 10yrs later its still doing its job, as far as I know as the new owner has said nothing.
corbal

Post by corbal »

Hi Paul

I made my felt washers with a pair of scissors from a remnant of wool/polyester felt 3mm thick which I bought from e-bay. The bike is 12 months off running yet but I can only assume my washers will work (fitted after soaking in oil and squeezing out as per the manual instructions). The sellers e-bay address is soj924h. She has some on e-bay at the moment but it will be to thick at 6mm. If you contact her I am sure she can help. She does a lot of felt craftwork as a hobby and sells off the remnants.

Cheers Alan (PS hope you get spigot sorted, I have checked mine following your question and its OK fortunately).
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks Alan, I have found an old felt seal that was in the back of the inner chain case, where the gearbox mainshaft come through, that is still in good nick that I reckon I can adapt (It pays to throw nothing away!!!) It's a bit thick but I reckon I can squash it down enough. If not I will check out that site. If you start to get a clonk when you apply the rear brake then that's the time to check for wear in the spigot and corresponding groove in the brake backplate.

thanks all

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ajscomboman wrote:Neoprene or nitrile O ring is the better option. I used an O ring from a box of Imperial ones I had lying around and 10yrs later its still doing its job, as far as I know as the new owner has said nothing.
Yes, the o ring idea should be ok as well I reckon after all it's only there as far as I can see to stop dirt getting in to the bushes
Paul
1960 Model 8