Piston Clearance

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Piston Clearance

Post by Ozmadman »

I have just bought a 0.040" O/S Barrel and Piston(minus the rings) from a seller on ebay as a spare for my model 8. Both are not in bad nick(there is a barely discernible lip the top and that might just be a bit of carbon). Can anyone tell me (before I purchase some rings for it)how much clearance I should expect between the barrel and piston when it is in the bore without any rings on. The piston, which is marked +.040", can be moved side to side a reasonable amount??

thanks

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Re: Piston Clearance

Post by Rob Harknett »

All the answers should be found in your Manual, Don't forget the piston is oval when measuring, so designed, so when hot it becomes round.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:All the answers should be found in your Manual, Don't forget the piston is oval when measuring, so designed, so when hot it becomes round.
Thanks Rob.. I don't have all the fancy measuring gear can I do it with a feeler gauge ??(if so where?) The manual states (one of the sizes as standard) 2.834 with a piston skirt Dia of 2.8276 so that to me is a clearance of 0.0064" what does it mean piston skirt top and is the crown of a piston a slightly smaller diameter than the rest of it then??
Many thanks
paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Generally clearance is taken in a fore and aft direction at skirt level. As you say, the piston is slightly relieved in the top section where the rings go. And as Rob says, they're oval.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Piston position in the bore when measuring is given.
You did state about a lip at the top of the piston. This should be removed when fitting the new piston or rings.
In the new fittings catch it and top ring breaks. I have used the back of a knife blade to scrape off the lip.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Piston position in the bore when measuring is given.
I have the genuine workshop manual but the only measurements I can find are in the front where all the measurements are. That's where I got the piston and bore sizes from as above. I am at work at the mo but will have another look in the manual when I get in later tonight

Thanks
Paul
Ps the lip I mentioned that is probably carbon is at the top of the bore, not on the piston???
Paul
1960 Model 8
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I was referring to a lip on the bore that needs to be removed when fitting new parts in it.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks
Paul
1960 Model 8
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think you will have to go past the data page, into " engine overhaul " I am sure its in the manual " measuring the piston for wear " etc. Try also Hepolite sales cat. for more info and dimensions.
corbal

Post by corbal »

I also need a set of +40 rings for my 8 rebuild. If you find some please could you add to this string where purchased and cost.

Thanks Alan