Where's the grease going?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Where's the grease going?

Post by Ozmadman »

Whilst my LH swing arm is off for repair I thought that I would take the opportunity to grease the bushes via my nice new grease nipple over on the RH side expecting to see grease pump out of the exposed bush on the LH side. BUT NO!! I emptied one and a half small grease guns full of the lovely stuff and nothing, no grease coming out anywhere, so where is it going? have I just filled the frame with grease? answers on a postcard!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
clive

Re: Where's the grease going?

Post by clive »

Logic would argue you are filling the frame with grease, just don't take the bike anywhere hot. :lol:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

If you get some warm weather in UK, you will never have to grease the arm again or the head stock I would think :rofl:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Janet

Post by Janet »

clive wrote:Logic would argue you are filling the frame with grease, just don't take the bike anywhere hot. :lol:
I don't think Essex ever gets hot enough for there to be a problem.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Yup your filling the frame with grease although i used SAE140 gear oil as i seem to have read somewhere thats what's used on the swing arm bushes ( page 35 under illustration 13 of the owners instruction book) quote below

'' The fork works in bronze bearings and is lubricated by an oil reservoir around the bushes & this can be lubricated with heavy gear oil (SAE 140) by means of a grease nipplesituated above the pivot on the right hand side''.

the lower part of the frame which the brake pedal shaft fits through fills up!! and voila c'est un reservoir!! I bet the grease goes up the frame too.

Cheers
Steve
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Janet wrote:
clive wrote:Logic would argue you are filling the frame with grease, just don't take the bike anywhere hot. :lol:
Alternative rally 2011 Oct and 27c 8-)
Roy
bobg3s

Post by bobg3s »

might be a new alternative to powder coating you just started
bob
Janet

Post by Janet »

G15 Roy wrote:
Janet wrote:
Alternative rally 2011 Oct and 27c 8-)
Was there a problem with grease leaking out all over the place because of that temperature?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rangy65 wrote:Yup your filling the frame with grease although i used SAE140 gear oil as i seem to have read somewhere thats what's used on the swing arm bushes ( page 35 under illustration 13 of the owners instruction book) quote below
'' The fork works in bronze bearings and is lubricated by an oil reservoir around the bushes & this can be lubricated with heavy gear oil (SAE 140) by means of a grease nipplesituated above the pivot on the right hand side''.
the lower part of the frame which the brake pedal shaft fits through fills up!! and voila c'est un reservoir!! I bet the grease goes up the frame too.
Cheers
Steve
Well, after pumping 3 small grease guns full of thick gear oil into the nipple expecting something to come out of the bush on the LH side whilst the arm was off... NOTHING!!! and it's not running out anywhere either, so gave up, slapped a load of grease around the shaft/bush and put the arm back. There must be enough grease/oil combination in there by now surely to lubricate the bushes???

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed