Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Clutch

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi just putting my bike back together and now the clutch doesnt free up the gearbox when you pull the lever in. I can see the pressure plate moving in and out and there is barely any free play but it seems as if the plates are stuck or something, any ideas how to sort it please, there are new metal plates in there as well. The clutch plates freed ok before I put the primary cover on but I didn't try it AT&T he time to see if it freed the gearbox. Thanks
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Re: Clutch

Post by Janet »

I'd go right back to first principles to try to adjust it. If it doesn't respond, you may have to take it to bits again.
I've had a clutch where the plates have temporarily stuck together where pulling in the clutch and operating the kickstart has freed them up ( thank you, Terry Edmonds ) but that's been when it had been working before it was left to stand for a while. After a rebuild, there could be something else wrong.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:The clutch plates freed ok before I put the primary cover on but I didn't try it AT&T he time to see if it freed the gearbox. Thanks
Paul
Just another thought. Have you checked to make sure the pressure plate isn't hitting the cover when you operate the lever before it's fully free? I know this shouldn't happen but that doesn't mean it's impossible.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I had a brand new clutch, the bike stood idle for a time, the plates all stuck together I had to have another new clutch.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks Janet and Rob, played around with the kick start and clutch lever and all of a sudden with it in gear I managed to kick it over with the clutch pulled in and the back wheel on the ground. Hopefully that's it then? maybe it was just a bit stuck as it had been standing a little while whilst waiting for the weather to get better and with new metal plates and springs and cleaned friction plates it just needed freeing up. Once the oil gets sloshing around in the primary case it hopefully will be ok, will soon find out when I finally start it up a try to put it in gear.
Thanks again for the suggestions, will post the outcome
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Ozmadman wrote:Once the oil gets sloshing around in the primary case it hopefully will be ok, will soon find out when I finally start it up a try to put it in gear.
Paul
You might find it gets worse once the oil starts sloshing around! The best way to keep it free is to ride it. :beer:
Rob C
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

robcurrie wrote:
Ozmadman wrote: You might find it gets worse once the oil starts sloshing around! The best way to keep it free is to ride it. :beer:Rob C
Why? How does that work?
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:
robcurrie wrote:
Ozmadman wrote: You might find it gets worse once the oil starts sloshing around! The best way to keep it free is to ride it. :beer:Rob C
Why? How does that work?
Paul
Because with constant use it never stands long enough for the plates to stick together.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I meant how can it get worse once the oil gets sloshing around? Would have thought it would be the opposite?
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
sjr

Post by sjr »

If oil gets on the pressure surfaces it can glue things up a bit. I think thats what he means.
Steve