Gear Box help needed

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Rangy65

Re: Gear Box help needed

Post by Rangy65 »

Its on order from the Club - Gary's usually pretty quick at getting stuff out so i might get it on Tuesday

044059 WW92371R .FRONT CHAIN; 72 LINKS £18 + VAT + Postage

This is not an 'endless' chain though.

Cheers
Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Ok thanks, checked the part number on AMOC spares and it didn't show up for me!? seems a reasonable price though, think mine has joining links to be honest as well
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hmm not sure where i got the non endless bit from - Same chain is on ebay from Geoffrey Myres classics advertised as 'AJS Matchless l/w 250 350 Renold duplex primary chain 72 links endless'

At £31.50 & £3.70 postage i think the Club's well priced. AMC classic spares also list on for £28 plus postage.

So its endless and the Club wins on price - a bit like my bike endless problems and massive on price!! :rofl:

Cheers
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rangy65 wrote:Well i have got to say Paul that your bike is very impressive and an inspiration - especially as you do all the work in the kitchen or outside.
If mine turns out half as good i'll be pleased.
Cheers
Steve
Remember this comment?? well I would say from what I see from the pictures in the "restoration finished" thread that in fact yours is better than mine in many respects..1) the frame looks like it has been powder coated or professionally painted? mine was just touched up with Hammerite.. 2) Your spokes look brilliant so I presume you have had new wheels built? mine had new wheels at some point in the past before I got it but it still has zinc spokes which are not brilliant...3)Your engine casings looks unmarked... mine have marks if you look closely.. 4) You have the original tank in the proper colour, mine is painted in the nearest blue I could get to the original...Finally, One thing I regret when doing my bike is that I did all the paintwork myself in acrylic paint with clear lacquer on top (petrol resistant stuff where needed) whilst it has held up ok as it is 3 years since I did it, it is not a tough finish the slightest knock will chip it so I have to be very careful with it. doing it again?? I would pay the money and get the lot done with two pack (2K) then I wouldn't have to worry. I presume you had the black paintwork done professionally? so in that sense yours is better too.. can't stop looking at the pictures... REALLY NICE!!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Thanks again but i suspect my paintwork will chip easily too. The hubs were painted by me with halfords VW silver grey then acrylic lacquer ( couldn't get the petrol proof stuff to work without crazing). the wheels were rebuilt with stainless spokes and new rims. This is my first go at a proper restoration so learning about paint finishes is just one of those things.( I built a spray booth out of poly sheet and some roof lathes see photo very professional ha ha.)
I spent a few hours on the engine cases, i used wet n dry paper to get the worst of the corrosion off then polished then using a buffing wheel on my bench grinder ( very dirty).
If i had the spare cash i think i would have gone down the professional path with the paint. However i have brought some cardinal read from a well known motorcycle paint company so just waiting for some warmer weather!!
My wife thought i was building somewhere to grow tomatoes!! :rofl:
IMG_0411.jpg

Your bike looks great too!!!!

Cheers
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greasemonkey62

Post by greasemonkey62 »

This is a much later post I know but in my workshop manual it gives a step by step instruction of which gearbox parts to fit in which order, I can scan it and e mail it on should anyone need it.
It doesn't help with the pawl spring fitting though thats a burden left to chance.

Cheers Ray.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Ray, thanks for offering to share your manual - i suggest the best place to scan upload to is the technical section of this web site.

Cheers
Steve
greasemonkey62

Post by greasemonkey62 »

ok cheers i will look for that area.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

greasemonkey62 wrote:ok cheers i will look for that area.
Is your manual one that isn't available on Christians archives then??
Paul
1960 Model 8