false neutral

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

false neutral

Post by Ozmadman »

I often get a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd, I had this on my old box and have found it to be the case on this one when it is hot as well. Sometimes when I go into neutral when stopped at lights I find that I lift the gear lever up to go into first to pull away and find I am in second or I change down from third to second only to find that it doesn't change with one foot movement or goes into the "false neutral". It's no real issue but would be interested to know what causes this and is it normal for a lightweight box?

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
shufty

Re: false neutral

Post by shufty »

Could it be clutch slip...rather than a gear issue?

I say that because I've just had exactly the same symptoms that you describe, on my G9. Kept slipping into a "false neutral" when changing gear, particularly 2nd/3rd gears.

I've had a clutch slip before and know what one normally feels like (i.e high revs and bike not moving much), so I didn't think it was the clutch slipping at first. However, I figured it had to be the clutch because I'd had it in bits a few days ago, (replacing the clutch springs), and it had been fine before.

So - today I tightened the clutch springs a further turn and re-adjusted the gearbox end of the cable...and my "false neutrals" have gone.
Ozmadman

Re: false neutral

Post by Ozmadman »

ok, will give that a go, thanks

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed