Can anyone tell me exactly what I have?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
millfischk69

Can anyone tell me exactly what I have?

Post by millfischk69 »

Hi, I have just bought a box of matchless parts and this is my first classic motorcycle project.

First i am trying to decipher exactly what I have. From what u have found so is what I think is a G5 model 350 cc can anyone help me put a definitive answer with a year of the bike.

The frame number is 14952 and looks to be the G5 shape ( I will try to get some pictures soon and the engine has the stamp marked 60/G5 1033.

Any help will be Muchly appreciated.

Thanks Luke
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Can anyone tell me exactly what I have?

Post by saltbox alf »

The dating officer can give you, for a small fee, the exact details for the bike from the factory records.
however you do seem to have a G5 engine from 1960.

You will need a parts list and time and patience with a box of bits :headbang:
It should be a great project though.
I would suggest joining the club as I am sure there will be many questions an you only get 90 days as a guest.
Also as a member you can access tech articles on the main club site.
Welcome !
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
millfischk69

Post by millfischk69 »

Becoming a member sounds a good idea as I'm sure I will have alot of questions to ask and any technical information will be a great help. I will have a browse on here to find what page I need to join the club.

Also you mention the dating officer, is he a member on here or a site/archive of info on classic bikes.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Hi Luke....The engine number confirms it is a a 1960 350 Matchless G5...but frame is possibly a 1962 on model?... Take a look at the "machine dating" page: http://www.ajs-matchless.com/Dating.asp[url][/url]

Note that there is a quick basic online frame check for a fiver as shown below:

"Online search of our factory records to find basic information on a frame number.
This online service allows you to enter a frame number and immediately see if there are any factory records within our system for this frame. If we find any matching details, you can see the year of manufacture, make and model of the bike as it left the factory. The fee for this service is £5 and the results are shown to you immediately on screen".

This should give the age of the frame and what engine type it was originally fitted with but it won't give the actual engine number (It didn't when I tried it!) ...ATB....Les
millfischk69

Post by millfischk69 »

I done a search last night on the dating service last night but it didn't go well. I put in my frame number to which it told me there was 1 match with the frame number. I then submitted and paid my £5 via paypal to find out any info then it takes me back to the first screen. I then try again thinking it must of been something I done and it does the same again. So I've spent £10 and got nothing so far.

Does anybody have any clue on what i done wrong?
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Luke, check your mailbox. The system sends a copy of the dating information to your email address. Be sure to check the spam folder as I note you have a Hotmail address and the Hotmail system often categorises our emails as spam.
If you still don't see the details, send an email to dating@jampot.com (you should have a refund of the extra £5 you've paid anyway).
Corners like a Lego man
millfischk69

Post by millfischk69 »

Hi Eamonn, I have this morning recieved the details I needed.

Would like thank yourself and Roy for sorting this so quickly for me.

Anyway the results from the dating service suggest the frame is a 1962 G2 but engine is stamped 60/G5 1033. Does that mean frame and engine do not match or are the G2 and G5 frames the same?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

millfischk69 wrote: Anyway the results from the dating service suggest the frame is a 1962 G2 but engine is stamped 60/G5 1033. Does that mean frame and engine do not match or are the G2 and G5 frames the same?
No the G2and G5 are different I think it's something to do with the frame height as the G5 engine is a bit taller but will fit in a G2 frame but will be a bit tight under the top tube and the top tube bracket to engine May have to be modified. Also the G2 had 17" wheels as opposed to the g5's 18" but interestingly the G2 and G5 rear forks are the same it's only the CS that is different but I don't know what that difference is. Finally, the G2 unless it is a CS has different forks altogether both fit in the same frame but the CS and G5 have a better teledraulic fork, have you got any pictures?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hello i have had similar identity issue's. I have two G5's one came with a V5 the other didn't. The bike with the V5 whichs says its a 350 G5 1961 apparently has a 1964 G2 250 frame. My other bike which does not have a V5 has a 350 frame verified by the club's dating officer. However both frames are exactly the same dimensions. I think what has happened in the distant past was that someone has re stamped the frame. Swapping engines, gear box's and frames certainly happened during my youth although it was yamaha RD250/350's and 400's rather than brit stuff.

I would suggest that you check the frame measurements. As previously mentioned you could put a 350 motor in a 250 but you would struggle to remove the cylinder head. If you can remove the head steady and easily remove the cylinder head you possibly have a 350 frame.

Thanks
Steve
millfischk69

Post by millfischk69 »

So I guess it's kind of good news that the 350 will fit in a 250 frame and small bracket modifications etc ain't a problem as I have some basic metal/engineering skills or have friends who are more advanced who would be willing to lend a hand.

I will try get some pics when I next get some spare time at the workshop and some dimensions and can see if there is any difference between mine and Rangy65's 350 frame, if you don't mind that is?