front forks help

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
red_dog49

front forks help

Post by red_dog49 »

Hi, I have found out that the forks fitted to my 350 LW are off a 56 heavyweight and no good !!
anyone any idea where I might find some (pre 55 heavyweight) of the correct type.
the 56 forks are good condition if anyone needs some.
Rob.
Rob Harknett

Re: front forks help

Post by Rob Harknett »

Keep the forks you have on the bike, I'm a bit confused as to how you arrive at pre 1955 heavyweight forks are correct for your 350 lightweight?
bunners

Post by bunners »

Robert
How long have you been riding with these forks? who told you they were wrong? a rivet counter? are you happy with the way the bike rides? if so keep them and enjoy what you have. ITS THE NAME ON THE TANK THAT MATTERS. Rivet counters are like the Green Party a minority. A very small minority.
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
red_dog49

Post by red_dog49 »

Hi, thanks for reply,
the bike has not been on the road I am rebuilding from scratch ,had trouble sorting the forks ,I removed them and found that the fork crown stem had been lengthened by welding another bit to it ?? so I took the forks to a well respected man who advertises on this site and he looked at the forks and advised that they were off a 56 heavyweight (11/4") and would not work,he also phoned another member who agreed, I looked at spares list on this site and it says pre 55 and lightweight in the front fork section so assumed there was some compatability,anyway I need 11/8" forks, so that's were I am, no consensus,non the wiser and needing front forks,
regards
Rob
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Keep checking on ebay, I have often seen lightweight teledraulic forks come up on there

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
red_dog49

Re: front forks update

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, apparently the 350 lw forks are unique to the bike,the headstock length on heavyweight is 1" longer, so the head stock on my forks
had been shortened !!.going to vmcc founders day to try to find.
rob.