Centre Stand

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Centre Stand

Post by Ozmadman »

Can someone enlighten me please. Attached are 3 pictures of my centre stand, I know the problems with the stand rotating too far forward and did a mod using small bolts on each bracket for the stand arms to rest against when the stand is down. This seems to have worked for a while but after a few months it seemed to be back where it was? ie;rotating to far forward and leaning to the offside. I modified the bolt position on the offside to stop that side of the stand from going to far forward and to level the bike up but again a bit later it is in the position you see in the pictures and on level ground it leans to the offside? looking at the stand there are kinks just under the mounting where the stand swivels on, are they supposed to be there or is my stand gradually collapsing? also should the stand be resting on the flats of the feet when down, as you see mine has rotated too far forward again.

Thanks

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Tolly

Re: Centre Stand

Post by Tolly »

Hi Paul, this doesn't look to be the correct stand. I you look in the gallery I posted a photo of my G5 centre stand some years ago, it's still there though. You will see my stand is much more substantial looking. Any problems finding the photo let me know and I'll pm you a copy.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi Paul, it does look like it's collapsing, the bend looks a bit more on one side than the other :headbang: Is it the right stand?
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

just posted and Tolly's post has just shown up, I think he is right.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Definitely a L/W stand albeit an early type. The later stand had more substantial roll on feet.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Tolly wrote:Hi Paul, this doesn't look to be the correct stand. I you look in the gallery I posted a photo of my G5 centre stand some years ago, it's still there though. You will see my stand is much more substantial looking. Any problems finding the photo let me know and I'll pm you a copy.
I know there were two different stands but this was on it when I got it
saltbox wrote:Hi Paul, it does look like it's collapsing, the bend looks a bit more on one side than the other :headbang: Is it the right stand?
Not sure it fits and works fine, the pivots are the right size and the return spring holes match up with where the spring is???

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Tolly wrote:Hi Paul, this doesn't look to be the correct stand. I you look in the gallery I posted a photo of my G5 centre stand some years ago, it's still there though. You will see my stand is much more substantial looking. Any problems finding the photo let me know and I'll pm you a copy.
had a look through all the pictures but can't see it but I have seen both types of stands on various bikes. Mine is a 1960 model so would have the early stand, so what do you think, is that the right shape or is it bending? it had been powder coated in the past and I would have thought that the coating would have cracked if it was collapsing??

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

DSCF0206.JPG
Hi Paul, this is a photo of my stand it's a 1961 model so shouldn't be much different to yours. I'm not sure when they changed but the later ones should fit and they do stock them in our spares dept.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks, spares dept only list a side stand??

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

I would have thought that the coating would have cracked if it was collapsing??
Powder coat is quite plastic and will move with the metal till it reaches a point where the coat will split.