Centre Stand

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
SPRIDDLER

Re: Centre Stand

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It's tubular, innit?
The squashed bits at the top bends/pivot ends are surely a weak point?
My heavyweight stand has cast legs and I don't think the 'Lightweights' are much lighter.
Still, IKBA about L/weights.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:It's tubular, innit?
The squashed bits at the top bends/pivot ends are surely a weak point?
My heavyweight stand has cast legs and I don't think the 'Lightweights' are much lighter.
Still, IKBA about L/weights.
Yes it is tubular, I think the Lightweight is only about 20 pounds lighter than the H/W. Surprisingly my Yam RD 250 is about the same weight as the lightweight at 154 kg or 338 lbs I would have thought with it's smaller unit construction air cooled 2 stroke engine, tin foil petrol tank and lots of plastic bits that it would be a lot lighter!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

If our spares do not have them :oops: maybe Andrews engineering will have, he also has second hand items. Looking at your stand though, I do think it's collapsing, they do rust on the inside I have found.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Tolly wrote:If our spares do not have them :oops: maybe Andrews engineering will have, he also has second hand items. Looking at your stand though, I do think it's collapsing, they do rust on the inside I have found.
Thanks,can't see any S/H stuff listed at Andrews but have sent Steve Surbey a mail to see if he has a late stand..
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Just an update... Got a good centre stand (the later more solid version) as a result of my ad in the wanted section, just needs a de-rust, strip and paint and it will be on the bike. Thanks John

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Centre stand now painted (with POR 15) and with any luck, will be on the bike today

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

The centre stand is on and sits fine for the moment but I have now realised why my other one was so unstable. First of all it isn't bent, twisted or collapsing as I originally thought. What was happening was to do with the end brackets that I had modified to take up the wear in an effort to get the bike to stand up off it's wheels. I had previously shown the mod on here

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/forum/view ... nd#p115014

The bolts I fitted do not sit central on the upright of the arms when the stand is up but only barely touch the arms meaning that after a while the stand pulls itself past them and twists, especially if this only happens on one side. see the two pictures. So there is not much wrong with the stand that a bit of weld on those areas won't fix but more importantly I either need two new(good s/h) brackets if anyone has them or I need to modify mine AGAIN to make sure I have good/central contact with the stand arms before my new stand ends up like the old one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8