Lightweight air filter

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Lightweight air filter

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi
I have just fabricated an original looking air filter for my 1960 Model 8 using simple items and some perforated ally sheet, JB weld and foam easily available on ebay with no soldering or welding and using Lidl jam jar lids as end caps. These were an optional extra and not considered necessary for the UK market!!
Have a look at the pictures, there are six of them on two posts as only 3 per post are allowed. This is really simple to make just needs a bit of time.. My only concern is whether the foam is too dense so I am on the lookout for some thinner stuff . If anyone wants any more info PM me, I also have pictures and dimensions of an original cleaner from which I was able to make this. Just need to find the space to fit it as my Areg regulator is occupying the space above the coil at the moment.

Also, in the manual it lists the same jetting for a lightweight with or without a cleaner anyone have any experience of this?? many thanks

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Re: Lightweight air filter

Post by Ozmadman »

The other 3 pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

out of interest, here is a picture of an original cleaner
Paul
1960 Model 8
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

A really professional looking job...well done. Not all foam is the same. Some foam has the air bubbles trapped whereas with real air filter foam, all the air bubbles are connected...if that makes sense?. You should be able to blow hard straight through the foam if you hold it to your open mouth and seal it against your lips without any feeling of resistance at all. Some foam is designed to be moistened with oil too:
http://ramair-filters.co.uk/automotive- ... tment.html
Les
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

You should be able to blow hard straight through the foam if you hold it to your open mouth and seal it against your lips without any feeling of resistance at all.
said Les. Absulutly correct, however if you find that you have gone light headed, or are lying on the floor with lack of sensation then it would be a good idea to remove foam from mouth!!! :rofl:

Could not resist sorry.

What a fine job you have done, I am all for remanufacture even with new style materials, it looks the part.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks for the comments, might just spray it satin black like the original but I kinda like how it looks now even though when fitted it won't be visible. Just got to find a way of fitting it without the strap blocking up too many of the holes??

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Decided to paint it black to be more authentic, even though it will be hidden, looks better don't you think?
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

filter now fitted to bike, looks the part I reckon..
Paul
1960 Model 8
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Good job Paul
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

cbranni wrote:Good job Paul
Thanks Colin, I did change the foam to some thinner stuff I got on ebay that is used on Go Karts. it is only 5 mm thick as opposed the 15 mm thick stuff I originally had in there that was being compressed when I put the centre piece of the filter in. Didn't want to restrict it too much and took the view that any filtration is better than zero!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8