New bike

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: New bike

Post by Ozmadman »

Its a a lightweight, well at least I think it is, it is in the lightweight section?? not sure if you can ride it with the chain case off???

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Ozmadman wrote:Its a a lightweight, well at least I think it is, it is in the lightweight section?? not sure if you can ride it with the chain case off???
It is a lightweight yes! I like Spriddler's idea, though, and, until I found that the alternator stator was mounted inside the outer case, did intend trying to ride it with it off to check the clutch!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to start a lightweight without the alternator :)

Good luck with your engine, Paul, that does sound like a work of devotion.

Regards

Mark
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Spriddler,

Thanks for the suggestion but a lightweight can't be run without its outer chaincase because the alternator stator is attached to it. Strange design decision, in my view, because you can't check the clearance between rotor and stator as you can with BSAs.

Thanks for the suggestions, though, I will just keep tweaking the clutch springs, I think. Now that I seem to have got the hang of Wellseal, I'm happier about taking covers on and off!

Sorry, don't know anything about dishwashers other than that newer models run cooler and so do a less good job. I will blame the EU on that one!

Regards

Mark
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ah, my mistake. I thought it was your '47 Model 18. Must try to keep up.
Still, the clutch and cable adjustment principles still apply.
I know the √ of Naff All about Lightweights (or dishwashers).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks, I had no crankcase breather rota at all in the engine!!! someone had sheared off the woodruff key and then just put it back without it!! that along with a worn timing side bush (why on earth they stuck a bush and the oil pump drive there instead of a bearing beats me??) presumably are the reasons for my elusive engine knock, can't really see anything else bad enough to cause it. Anyway, according to Colin B I am lucky to have the engine survive with that missing and also it must have been breathing all the time, whatever the implications of that are I don't know. My clutch was a bit erratic even though I fitted new metal plates but had a look as it is out and some of the metal plates catch where the little tags fit in the slots in the basket so a gentle filing as I put them back will probably sort it. As for Wellseal, yes it takes a bit of getting used to and can be very messy and sticky but if you use a small brush to put it on that works a treat. I had previously Wellsealed (with gaskets) the oil tank and the primary case inner and outer gaskets and when I took it apart they were still intact and dry so it definitely does its job..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed