New bike

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
ajsm18

New bike

Post by ajsm18 »

Morning fellow AMC'ers,

I've been collecting parts for a 350 lightweight for a few years now but haven't actually got around to doing any work yet.

I've found a Model 8 and have bought what seems to be a very nice bike. The clutch is slipping when I try to go above about 40mph and I'm hoping that is why it feels a bit gutless but this should be easy enough to sort out.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having some fun riding it and may even manage to make it to some Hampshire section meetings!

Mark
Ozmadman

Re: New bike

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi Mark
I have a 1960 model 8 which I have renovated so I may be able to answer some of your questions. Do you have a manual? If not you can download one from here

http://archives.jampot.dk

Look forward to hearing how it's going

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply and offer of help. I do have a manual It covers all AMC models for 1960 so, I hope, that will be all I need. I haven't found an instruction book but haven't looked very far yet. Other than to stop the clutch slipping, I hope I can just ride it for a while!

All the best

Mark
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Good morning to you too. Try adjusting the clutch centre bolt (chaincase side) to gain free play on the clutch push rod. As the friction plates wear, the slack is taken up and the free movement is lost...First after adjusting the clutch cable for lots of slack....screw out the screw then screw back in....you need half a turn back on the pressure plate centre screw after it has contacted the push rod end..After setting and tightening the lock nut readjust for 1/8" cable slack at the lever...Les
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Les,

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of having a go at adjusting it before I sit down to watch the Italian F1 GP so your advice is very timely!

Regards

Mark
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajsm18 wrote:....may even manage to make it to some Hampshire section meetings!
Not many of them do......

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bunners

Post by bunners »

Oh Neville
You are awful, but I do like you(r) wicked sense of humour. Was that Dick Emery said that? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Well tried adjusting the clutch centre as Les suggested but the clutch is still slipping occasionally when I kick it over and when riding it. In fact, I adjusted it with far too much play at the handlebar just to make sure there was clearance on the clutch push rod and the clutch slip was as bad as before.

A new set of clutch springs and/or plates are needed, I think.

Mark
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Yes seems like it.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ajsm18 wrote:Well tried adjusting the clutch centre as Les suggested but the clutch is still slipping occasionally when I kick it over and when riding it. In fact, I adjusted it with far too much play at the handlebar just to make sure there was clearance on the clutch push rod and the clutch slip was as bad as before.

A new set of clutch springs and/or plates are needed, I think.

Mark
The clutch can often stick when you kick it over, mine does now and again.. what oil is in the primary case do you know??

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed