Swinging arm bearings

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Andy51

Re: Swinging arm bearings

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Mark, I wrote an article on replacing heavyweight swinging arm bushes that was in the Jampot recently, the same principles presumably apply to lightweights. You should be able to pull the old bushes out using stout threaded bar and spacers, ditto to put new ones in. To avoid bushes closing up (and thus needing reaming) I turned them down to be a push fit and used Loctite - can't remember the grade but it was in the article. Hope this helps.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the help. I'll look back through my old Jampots and see if I can find the article.
Regards
Mark
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

I've decided my swinging arm bearings are OK. At low speed, when accelerating, the rear feels twitchy, almost as if the (huge :) ) power surges are twisting the rear end of the bike! But I know it isn't a two-stroke Kawasaki triple...

At speed it feels great throwing it round the bends.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ajsm18 wrote:
At speed it feels great throwing it round the bends.
What speeds are these then??

Paul
Last edited by Ozmadman on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Well, 40 to 50-ish It definitely needs a bigger sprocket somewhere, if one is available!
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ajsm18 wrote:Well, 40 to 50-ish It definitely needs a bigger sprocket somewhere, if one is available!
Yes, they are a bit under geared I think, I have a 19 tooth gearbox sprocket on the output gear, it is better but still needs a bit more. A 20 tooth is available so I may get that before I put it altogether again. I suppose you could go up one on the engine sprocket but not sure where you can get a gear, also you could go smaller on the rear wheel but getting a smaller sprocket would probably be an impossibility
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed