Timing pinion

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Timing pinion

Post by Ozmadman »

A while ago I bought a small timing pinion gear form club spares just because it was cheap and thought I might need that one day. I was looking at it today in comparison to the one fitted on the bike as i have the cam and followers out and noticed that it has no timing mark on it , I have wire brushed it and definitely no marks. How are you supposed to get the timing right with no dot to line up with the one on the camshaft?? Maybe that's why they were so cheap??.. nice to be told beforehand I would have thought

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Les Howard

Re: Timing pinion

Post by Les Howard »

If it's a single cylinder, Ken De Groome's guide is very useful:
http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Gen ... e_Dots.pdf

Les
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Les P H wrote:If it's a single cylinder, Ken De Groome's guide is very useful:
http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Gen ... e_Dots.pdf

Les
Thanks, had a look and this is for a heavyweight, the lightweight has a different set up where one cam wheel operates both cams and therefore followers. Also my pinion does not have any dots at all and this doesn't cover that.

Many thanks though

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If the one in your bike has the dot, could you not discover from that, where the dot should be on the cheap one you got with no dot. Perhaps the one on your bike has no dot either??
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:If the one in your bike has the dot, could you not discover from that, where the dot should be on the cheap one you got with no dot. Perhaps the one on your bike has no dot either??
Will have a look, I think it has but I may have to take the nut off to expose the woodruff keyway and should be able to work it out from there. Do you know if that nut is LH thread?

Many thanks

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
nottsSteve

Post by nottsSteve »

I think the dot is in line with the woodruff key
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not sure about pt. no. for the lightweight 350. If the timing pinion nut is 000221 (its been in use for years old pt. no. STD221 ) the nut is 7/16" 26TPI Left hand thread.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Not sure about pt. no. for the lightweight 350. If the timing pinion nut is 000221 (its been in use for years old pt. no. STD221 ) the nut is 7/16" 26TPI Left hand thread.
The part number listed for the nut is 000230, different number but I presume that will still be a LHT? Progress so far.. now removed everything I can apart from the timing pinion (all the primary side stuff as well including the primary back plate, so i am back as far as looking at the gearbox sprocket). Everything is fine, clean with no rubbing scraping or evidence of anything amiss?? I don't want to a strip the engine as I don't think there is a problem with the bottom end as, try as I might, I can't feel any movement at all down there apart from end float(crank, big end and small end) and I would wouldn't I ?? So now all that is left is the dreaded timed breather stator mentioned in my previous thread so do I bite the bullet, remove the tube and then hope I can get it back in again? will check around and see if anyone has one so at least I will know what it looks like before I attempt to get mine out. As a reminder here is the clip of the engine noise, listen to it all at it is worse in some parts than the others. Also, how much crank end float should there be as with the gear on the crank it is minuscule but with it off there is about a 1/16th of an inch

Thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Deep in my mind I recall .025" minimum end float with the alternator rotor removed, I did read it somewhere but can't remember where but I will check in my manuals and get back to you Paul.

Colin

Just found a print out of the Lightweight engine by John Allen Jampot No 490

"The crankshaft endfloat, without the alternator rotor fitted must be greater then .020". If it is not the inside face of the timing side bush must be machined"

So I wasn't that far out.
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

000230 timing side axel is 5/8" x 20TPI as it does NOT state L/H thread, I would assume its R/Hbut note that states axel nut where as 000221 states timing pinion nut. If you are wondering how I remember all the sizes, I don't. Old parts list gave sizes, so check the master parts list that converts old to new pt. no's. It will only show old parts still in use at the date of the master parts list. So you won't find everything there in greater detail you may be looking for.