Crankcase release valve

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
clive

Re: Crankcase release valve

Post by clive »

cbranni wrote:.
If your breather tube is loose in the stator when you split the cases you could heat the end of the tube put a centre punch in the hole and hit it, this will enlarge the end and you will have a better fit, it may be a bodge but..................
Colin
Speaking as a member of the Worshipful Company of Bodgers, would this not simply flare the end whereas the recommended fix (bodge) is to plate 3/8 of an inch which would give an interference fit throughout? We have to keep the bodging standards up.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

You are right Clive standards have to be kept up, I was thinking more on the lines of brutal, plating seems a bit complex, you can't beat a good bodge using heat and hammers :D :D :D
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks all for your comments, Colin, the shims are behind the crankshaft drive gear not the timing gear and are listed as R (as req'd )

Many thanks. Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Actually John, any pictures for me to look at before I take it apart would be useful if you have any, thanks

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
greasemonkey62

Post by greasemonkey62 »

I fitted an improved crankcase breather way back in the day, but it needed a strip down and crankcase split to fit a new round gubbins onto the crankshaft final drive side.