Lightweight Wiring photos

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Rangy65

Lightweight Wiring photos

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi its a while since i posted as my G5 re- build has been on the back burner for a while, however its now back on!

Does anyone have some photos of the wiring in situ on the bike?

Many thanks

Steve
Les Howard

Re: Lightweight Wiring photos

Post by Les Howard »

No Photos, but I would run the cable in the most neatest way that is commensurate with having clearance from the tank a nice curve from the front of the frame's headstock to the headlight. the biggest bunch of wiring is near the battery box but you can easily arrange the wiring for neatness. Having a photo of a previous cable arrangement is no guarantee that it's been run the best way...only my opinion of course...
Start by attaching the harness to the frame top tube, either below it or above to give the right amount of slack at both ends, you will soon find the best layout....Les
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Cheers Les good advice. I,m converting to 12V so got to mount the regulator/rectifier somewhere convenient

Many thanks
Steve
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Steve, put it where the the old rectifier was on the rear mudguard under the seat, are you using a new harness or making one up.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

cbranni wrote:Hi Steve, put it where the the old rectifier was on the rear mudguard under the seat, are you using a new harness or making one up.
Colin
I have the tank and side panels off my model 8 as I have the engine and gearbox out and in my kitchen at the moment SO if it ever stops raining I will go outside, uncover the bike a take a few pictures of the wiring for you. As Colin says, "mount the rectifier on the rear mudguard" there should already be a hole there for it and you can just about get your hand under the guard(if the wheel is still on|) to hold a nut there whilst you tighten the bolt up.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hello Paul & Colin thanks for your replies, i am using a new harness made up by Colin at Catmando as the club didnt have one in stock at the time. The rectifier sits nicely on the mudguard and i started at the head light and worked backwards. Just need to make up some sort of brackets for the underside of the rear mud guard as the original metal 'tangs' which hold the cable had pretty much rusted away.
Didnt realise this else i would have welded some on before painting DOH!! Post some pictures soon

Paul looks like your engines coming togeather well - & Colin how's the Triumph

Thanks again

Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi Steve
Yes the engine so far is fine but I am a bit reluctant to put it back in the bike(half built)when the worst of the winter weather is still to come and there is no hurry so it will be sitting in the kitchen for quite a while yet I reckon. Here are some pictures of my wiring, not sure how useful they will be but they may help a bit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ozmadman on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

next lot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

some more.. wish we could add more than 3 pictures at once like my other forum??!
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

final one
Paul
1960 Model 8