Post by Ozmadman »

See what you mean!!! does look like the plates are a bit thinner
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Les Howard

Re: Clutch plate advice

Post by Les Howard »

If you can get extra plates in it should work OK...you might find you can have the pressure springs screwed out a few turns less giving you a very light clutch as the extra friction will lessen the chance of slip. You might need to swap new for old on one pair to get them in and unless the friction plates have worn down to the metal that will be OK. ....I had the opposite problem with an early Norton Clutch ...I bought new SURFLEX plates as the originals had cork inserts and aren't available now. With them all fitted, the last plate ended up outside the basket depth because the friction plates were too thick, so I have a choice of leaving one out or fitting a couple of the better originals instead of the new ones....once it wears and beds in I will be able to swap again and fit all Surflex type......Les
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Les & Paul decided to go over to Kettering and consult with the parts guys. Stuart was most helpful measuring the original friction plates and the new ones. The new ones are 1mm less than the old ones.

The solution was as simple as you suggested and page 54 of the 1957- 1964 workshop manual sets out the number of plates for each lightweight model. Stuart advised fitting a single side friction plate as per the scrambler.

Whilst the bike isn't running yet the cluch now works biting and releasing smoothly.

Jobs a good un - now the bloomin gearbox is playing up suspect kick start spring.

Oh well its an old bike learning curve thing!!
IMG_0001_1.jpg
Thanks & all the best
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

That's good! See you are posting comments.. Not sure what's happening with the stats then? Who needs them anyway?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed