Side Panel

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Side Panel

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks all.... A few options there, will see how much the stuff is and decide the way to go
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

View of the surface dents I have to sort as well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

That's strange...they weren't there before you sprayed it!

I bought a set like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... et&_sop=15

Finish off with filler.

Les
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

They were there just not as noticeable, that isn't spray paint but a coat of Loctite 7503 rust remover/preventative that has been rubbed down. Most of those dents are dents and not raised bits as it appears so shouldn't be too bad to sort them out. Will probably go the JB weld for the washer and filler route for now as the metal along the bottom, apart from around that split hole, is still quite good and solid even though it looks pretty bad in the picture.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Ideally you should have sorted out the dents first. The filler you will eventually have to use sticks and bonds best to clean roughened steel, not paint or rust treatment....Les
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

thanks, that's easily sorted

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

It's amazing how something that looks as smooth as silk when primed suddenly develops a whole load of pits & scratches as soon as you apply the top coat!

I'd use something like P38 filler as there's no load on it and it's easy to work. I use production paper rather than wet & dry as W&D is very messy. Production paper is expensive but seems to me to give a much better finish.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Yes I like P38 and filled in a few ripples in the front mudguard with no problems despite much vibration 3 years + ago
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Progress on the side panel, notice how I have cunningly "created" a recess for the securing bolt, which wasn't there before, by subtle use of filler. Can't really go too much further (spraying) until the weather warms up. The blue one is the RH one I have just finished (the photo hasn't reproduced the colour properly but you get the idea) showing how the original recess should look. Hopefully the LH one will turn out as good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

This is the side panel finished. I had to re-drill the top hole which had been welded up and have even created a recess for the securing bolt( as it has been bashed flat and the hole welded up) by discreet use of filler, the damaged bottom hole is now a stainless washer fixed with JB weld and all the dents have been filled as best as I could and finished with a few coats of PRO/XL petrol resistant clear lacquer
Last edited by Ozmadman on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8