Exhaust and battery

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
ditchweed

Exhaust and battery

Post by ditchweed »

Bought a semi-restored G5 matchless, getting close to finishing it and just wondering about the exhaust, seems like there should be some intermediate piece between the port and the pipe as the pipe won't fit in the port any ideas about the part thats missing or if not how to fit the exhaust to the port. also just bought a battery as it didn't come with one when i bought it, so i can figure out how to connect it from the wiring diagrams but can't work out how to mount, could someone send me a couple of pics of their battery in situ so i can figure it out? Thanks
clive

Re: Exhaust and battery

Post by clive »

Welcome, I am sure one of the lightweight riders will be along in the next day or so to advise you.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Sounds like you have the wrong dia. pipe.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

dithcweed404 wrote:Bought a semi-restored G5 matchless, getting close to finishing it and just wondering about the exhaust, seems like there should be some intermediate piece between the port and the pipe as the pipe won't fit in the port any ideas about the part thats missing or if not how to fit the exhaust to the port. also just bought a battery as it didn't come with one when i bought it, so i can figure out how to connect it from the wiring diagrams but can't work out how to mount, could someone send me a couple of pics of their battery in situ so i can figure it out? Thanks
When you say the pipe won't fit do you mean it is too big a diameter or it wont fit/reach the port because of the shape or position of the front pipe? if the latter then you probably have a 250 front pipe which is the same diameter but too short to fit under the footrests and then to reach the exhaust port in the head. If it is too big a diameter then it is definitely the wrong pipe, as Rob has already said, as there is no spacer/distance piece on a lightweight front pipe. As regards the battery, it sits on that L shaped bracket behind the Rh side panel and is held there by a rubber strap or anything else you can devise (I use a small webbing strap which clips together around the battery horizontally which them can be pulled tight on a plastic ratchet) it is wired POSITIVE EARTH so the RED WIRE connects to the + and goes to the EARTH and the BLACK WIRE connects to the - and goes to the live part of the loom. Not sure if I have any picture with the battery there but will post if I do... Oh, and welcome to the forum... would be a good idea to join the club and become a full member as access to the forum is limited in what you can access and in the time you can use the forum for. Only £22 a year for a digital membership which includes full forum access, a monthly digital magazine full of great stuff and very helpful members most of whom will fall over backwards to assist if they can..
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I haven't got a picture with the battery in but the link below may help. Mine has been re-wired but should be almost the same. I do have a in-line "blade" fuse in the live (black) wire which you may not have and you will notice a modern regulator/resistor bolted to the rear mudguard but the battery wiring should be the same
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
ditchweed404

Post by ditchweed404 »

Wow quick response and helpful information, I did already join the club, the day i bought it on the recommendation of the guy i bought it from. the pipe seems about right lm in length and shape, but just won't fit in the exhaust port, its close but not quite, not sure if its just been bent slightly out of shape or the re-chroming has added material so it no won't fit, i thought of cutting 2 small slits maybe 3mm long on each side to create a slight taper to get it into the exhaust port, are the pipes just held in my friction then or do you seal them up afterwards with something?

Thanks for the battery picture i have a a rubber strap so will try and figure out the positioning and strap it in later.

all help much appreciated.
clive

Post by clive »

Archie you are not showing up as a member on the website, hence all your posts have to be approved by a moderator (as do all posts by guests). Drop Eamonn the webmaster a line at webmaster@jampot.com with your log-in name and membership details and I think he will be able to sort you out as a full member of the forum/club. Your posts will then appear immediately. Regards
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ditchweed404 wrote:Wow quick response and helpful information, I did already join the club, the day i bought it on the recommendation of the guy i bought it from. the pipe seems about right lm in length and shape, but just won't fit in the exhaust port, its close but not quite, not sure if its just been bent slightly out of shape or the re-chroming has added material so it no won't fit, i thought of cutting 2 small slits maybe 3mm long on each side to create a slight taper to get it into the exhaust port, are the pipes just held in my friction then or do you seal them up afterwards with something?

Thanks for the battery picture i have a a rubber strap so will try and figure out the positioning and strap it in later.

all help much appreciated.
Hmmm?? They are a push fit and should be tight(some are not so tight though) so maybe any slight ovality, imperfections or burrs on the edge will stop it going in. Maybe give the port a good clean and, if you have to, some fine emery on the pipe may ease it. The chrome shouldn't stop it going in as they are chromed right to the end as new. Nothing holds it in other than a bracket underneath on the front lower engine to frame bolt and the silencer stud that goes through the bracket near the back wheel. Depending on how air tight it is I have used a bit of "Holts firegum" on the pipe before I pushed it home as any air leaks here could cause a bit of rumbling in the exhaust on the over run
Paul
1960 Model 8
ditchweed404

Post by ditchweed404 »

It doesn't look like its going to fit is is just generally way too big to go in the port, can't see why this would be unless its the wrong exhaust, maybe for a different model with a larger port? is there a place i can buy a replacement exhaust and i guess silencer?
Thanks
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ditchweed404 wrote:It doesn't look like its going to fit is is just generally way too big to go in the port, can't see why this would be unless its the wrong exhaust, maybe for a different model with a larger port? is there a place i can buy a replacement exhaust and i guess silencer?
Thanks
Maybe your front pipe is from a G3 or something, post a picture and maybe someone will recognise it and then you can sell it to recoup some money. You can get an exhaust here...

http://www.feked.com/exhausts/ajs-matchless/

Make sure you get the G5 front pipe and silencer and not the G2 (the G2 silencer is the same actually it is just the front pipe that is different due to the shorter stroke)

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8