G5 Rebuild Questions

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
ditchweed

Re: G5 Rebuild Questions

Post by ditchweed »

Thanks all much appreciated, hopefully have it back together next week.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:To continue what others have said... First of all the front sprocket, if you have been reading my rebuild thread you will see a long discussion on this, to cut a very long story short.... the sprocket goes on the way you have it in the picture and as Colin has said there are shims to space it as required to line up the primary chain.Paul
For those of us who have poor eyesight and a poor quality monitor that doesn't measure distances very well, does the picture show the extended bit on the crankcase side or is it on the rotor side?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote: For those of us who have poor eyesight and a poor quality monitor that doesn't measure distances very well, does the picture show the extended bit on the crankcase side or is it on the rotor side?
Hi Janet.. the extended bit goes on the rotor side, this gives a bit of distance between the rotor and primary chain. My bike did have it round the other way causing the chain to wear grooves in the rotor. It does look like it will hit the crankcase but it doesn't and there are shims listed as req'd (part number 044058 ) to space the sprocket a tad if needed to line the chain up. As I mentioned I had two thin shims that I found inside the engine on the crank and up against the flywheel, some wally obviously had no idea where they should have gone, but these were supposed to go behind the sprocket. Interestingly, the shims are only listed for the G5/Model 8 and not the 14 CS and CSR?? I can understand the CS as it is a single primary chain and the sprocket is different but I thought the CSR was a duplex chain so why no shims??
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

Thank you, Paul. You are correct about the CSR having a duplex chain and it has the same clutch as the G5. Mine didn't have any shims on it when I took the sprocket off. What I'm kicking myself about is that, at the time, I wrote down which way round it fitted, including drawing a picture of it, but I then lost where I'd written it, probably put away for safekeeping. This was more annoying than if I hadn't thought of it.
Isn't it odd that the manuals never tell you these things? How to fit the rear brake pedal with all its bits is another thing that it totally ignored but could be quite important to the rider.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Yes Janet, I find the workshop manual just a bit better than useless actually, things are either explained vaguely or missed out altogether. Funny you should mention the rear brake pedal, I have just put mine back(one of the many things to replace after putting the engine back) and that was a case of trial and error to get it back and have enough tension on the spring for a good return.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Janet

Post by Janet »

Please will you tell me what bits I should have for my brake pedal, what fits where and how to tension the spring. I have done it so it appears to work but I'm sure it's not right as I think I may be missing a spacer or washer.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Sorry Ditchweedfor derailing your thread onto the brake pedal, but one day you'll need to know about it and the answer will be in this thread. Of course, by then you'll have forgotten it.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:Please will you tell me what bits I should have for my brake pedal, what fits where and how to tension the spring. I have done it so it appears to work but I'm sure it's not right as I think I may be missing a spacer or washer.
Ok, off to work in a mo but will try to get back to you over the weekend, I will have to think back, what went where. If not I will crawl under the bike on Monday, if it isn't raining, and have a look to refresh my memory
Paul
1960 Model 8
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Janet as Paul's at work thought this might help you
IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg
The parts shown are the foot peg/brake shaft, brake return spring, brake lever /spring tension stop ( rusty coloured part) nuts & washers.
(Sorry about the photos just got a new computermebob and cant work it well yet).
What i find works is to fit every thing loosely The spring tensioner stop tab bit needs to be pointing outwards under the shaft and is what you tension the spring against.
Once this is in position tighten up the whole shaft ( large nuts). The Tab is then secure. next remove the font foot peg as this gives you loads of lever space. Fit the spring into the brake lever ( it only goes one way).
Then slid this onto the shaft making sure that the other part of the spring fits in front of the tab, fit washers and nuts an that should do it. To tension further if needed take off the brake arm and spring slacken the shaft nuts and push the Tab clock wise round on the shaft which when you put the brake lever back more tension will be on the spring.
This sounds a bit long winded apologies, Paul & Colin are better at explaining stuff than me!!!

Cheers
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I think that is a spot on description Steve, too add... the washer with the square hole in it goes on the shaft after the pedal is fitted and before the footrest and finally the nut...Just to re-iterate what Steve has said, the spring tension is based on the position of that tab washer on the shaft as the end of the spring that is not fitted in the pedal rests against that tab. Once you get all in position all will become clear, don't forget to grease it all well before the final assembly.
Paul
1960 Model 8