Confirmation Needed

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Confirmation Needed

Post by Ozmadman »

I finally fitted the tank and fixed the fuel taps but I do have an issue with the running bike. It starts after a fashion with a bit of flooding without the choke and ticks over fine but when you come to give it some revs is splutters and sounds like it's running out of fuel for a split second then its ok then splutters etc. if I pull the choke on say a quarter of turn the misfire and spluttering disappear. I have touched nothing carb wise apart from take it off and put it back on and in the meantime it was in a plastic bag so it's not got dirty or anything. It was running ok (apart from the botched engine)before but sounds like its running weak, does this sound like symptoms of an air leak?

Thanks
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Les Howard

Re: Confirmation Needed

Post by Les Howard »

Hi Oz..I'll let the others suggest all the possible carb faults and it could be of course but it could also be a possible weak spark, so check your plug and ignition system if the carb checks don't work. BTW...closing the choke a 1/4 turn is not likely to make any difference to mixture strength when blipping the throttle slightly as the choke slide drops down from the top and is inside the throttle slide so probably doesn't enter the air stream until the throttle is at least half open. This is a common misconception and if you don't believe me look into the carb's mouth with the same setting and move the throttle the same amount, I bet you don't see the choke slide appear, unless your gassing it above half throttle or so....Similarly some people put the choke on a small amount or half to start the bike from cold but it doesn't richen the mixture at all.......Les
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

You say "pull the choke on" - you do realise that the choke is "on" when the lever is closed don't you - ie pulling the lever makes the air slide rise in the choke slide as Les says.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

iansoady wrote:You say "pull the choke on" - you do realise that the choke is "on" when the lever is closed don't you - ie pulling the lever makes the air slide rise in the choke slide as Les says.
Thanks Ian, Yes I do BUT... I am wondering now after your reminder whether I had a blonde moment and operated it the wrong way round?? :roll: :roll: :geek: It's such a long time since I started it, what with the rebuild etc that I may have not concentrated and ran it on full choke, funny it did get worse when hot!!! what a wally??? Can't be certain but in the meantime (just now) I took the carb off and replaced the spacer to head gasket and fitted a new o ring to the carb so hopefully there is no leak there even if there was to start off with. Just got he carb back on and it's pouring with rain so I have had to cover the bike and come indoors, will try it again when it stops.. this time checking the choke position is correct..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed