Rear Brake

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Rear Brake

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks Janet, no.. it's definitely inside the drum, you can hear/feel the linings hitting something as you spin the wheel and it's not a little bit... you have to tug the wheel past the sticking point and then its ok until the next revolution. it's stopped raining and I have a few hours before going to work so I think I will go outside AGAIN!! and have a look... try the brake centering thingy first. This is the only time I wish I didn't have a complete chain guard fitted...
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Re: Rear Brake

Post by Ozmadman »

Right sun is shining and I have just come in from having a look at my rear brake issue, answering another query first!!

1) After having moaned about removing the enclosed chain guard I realised that only the top half has to come off and if you leave the two bolts partially in the holes the bottom half stays in place and doesn't drop onto the floor!! (best to remove the bottom shock absorber nut and move the shock out of the way first)

2) The brake plate centre nut was loose to start with, noticed this once I had undone the wheel nuts

3) Loosened it further to make sure, held the brake pedal down and re-tightened it

4) Re-tightened the wheel nuts, whilst checking the chain adjustment, no rubbing until the nuts were fully tightened then a small amount a "rubbing" like before but much less

5) Undid the wheel nuts and played around with the wheel alignment and ended up with a "very slight" bit of rubbing but will live with that and it will probably sort itself with a few brake operations.

So it seems it was a combination of losse brake plate and wheel alignment

thanks all for you comments
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed