G5 Clutch Cable Query

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Remington

G5 Clutch Cable Query

Post by Remington »

Ho hum, er, have taken the bull by the horns and have decided to dismantle the drive side again in an effort to rectify my rotor nut and engine locking fiasco although progress on this will be posted under Ozmadman's Various Questions thread, as before (but maybe not this week).

In the meantime I have had to buy a new clutch cable from JSL as my old one snapped. Another problem presents itself - my bike has ball end levers and the cable outer cover is too long to allow the nipple end to fit in the lever and within the adjuster. The cable in its entirety appears to be the correct length. Has anyone out there come across a similar situation, and found an ingenious solution such as another type of cable altogether, or should I just cut a small length of the outer cover away from either part of the cable to secure a proper fit?

I don't know the make of the levers as they don't show any manufacturer's mark. The old cable had been made to fit by the removal of a short length of the outer cover, incidentally. All help very gratefully received, as usual.
Stuoyb

Re: G5 Clutch Cable Query

Post by Stuoyb »

The standard (factory fit) levers do not have adjusters and replacement cables are for the standard type levers.
When levers with adjusters are fitted the outer needs to be approx. 1/2" shorter.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Either remove the adjuster and fit a collet instead to hold the outer in the lever or do as you suggest and remove the cable sheath outer. I reckon the only way in practice is to unwind the coils starting at the end with needle nose piers until you have the outer that much shorter and nip it clean off with very sharp electrical nippers or cutters...Les
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

As already said "there should not be an adjuster on the lever" I have had two types of lever on my lightweight and did at one point go for ball ended ones as the blade ended ones were punching holes in my bike cover!!! but neither had adjusters on them. My clutch cable and my spare Doherty one both have an in line adjuster in the cable which when fitted ends up just about behind the headlamp shell
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Remington

Post by Remington »

Many thanks, all, for your advice and suggestions. I think that I shall go for a little 'pruning' of the outer cover as there is not enough bare cable to enable a collet fit to the lever without the adjuster.

My new cable is a Doherty and it does have the in line adjuster although I suppose this is not really necessary when lever adjustment is available. However, it will be useful for extra fine adjustment if needed and probably cannot be removed without a good deal of unnecessary work. It does end up just about behind the headlamp shell when fitted, as in Qzmadman's bike.