Restoration Finished!!

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Rangy65

Restoration Finished!!

Post by Rangy65 »

Hello all Lightweighteers just thought i would post a couple of photos of my now complete and running G5. Its Insured and MOT'd just needs the age related Reg No.
I must say a big thank you to Paul and Colin who have provided great technical help and inspiration to get me through the rebuild.
I would also like to thank Roy for his assistance in all things DVLA related (V55 has been requested).
Also Roger from the ' Poachers' for making me feel welcome and introducing me to the members of our local club branch.
Cant wait to get out and about!!
Once again many thanks to all!!
G5image1.jpg
G5image3.jpg
G5andMe.jpg
All the best
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TommoT

Re: Restoration Finished!!

Post by TommoT »

You can be proud of that, absolutely stunning!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Very pretty little lightweigh, it will give you a pleasant unhurried ride along the country lanes.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Well done , a very good looking bike. :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Well, Steve, a most excellent job you have done there, it's absolutely beautiful!! Like the interesting plug you have in the chain guard.. chrome? is that how they were originally? mine just has a rubber bung in there, also there is a little pointer (points at the gear numbers on the casing) that screws into the end of the selector shaft and they are still available, just a nice little finishing touch. Who did all the paintwork and frame?? wish you were nearer to me, we could go out together sister bikes red Matchless and blue AJS. BTW have you any before pictures??

well done!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Paul, i think you have the correct item mine is from the club spares and is a stainless item. i would like to get a pointer and cap for the gear lever, the club lists the pointer but not the cap ( unless its under a different part number). The tank is original ( cleaned out and polished) and came with a couple of boxes of spares inc a second bottom end ( complete) from off ebay. All the paint was done by myself using Tekaloid black coach paint and then Tekaloid clear coat ( spray can) this took ages as its so slow to dry and harden. The frame & brackets were powder coated. I am currently painting the green tank Cardinal red but have had issues with chemical reactions. I actually really like the original Tank so i think i will try and get some Maroon paint and re-paint the engine cases!
Funny enough the gear box works really well light and positive.
I really need to take the bike on a proper shakedown ride but can't do this until the DVLA issue me with a new Reg number.
it would be good to meet up and compare engine noise!
I am still planning to go to this years Rally at North Weald so if you could make it we could do a side by side AJS & Matchless show.

And a before picture!
IMG_0235.jpg

Thank you all for your kind words.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi, I have the pointer but just have a small cup washer underneath the bolt that I found in my toolbox, didn't know there was a cap? Interestingly, I used Tekaloid on some of the bike ( the tank, side panels and rear mudguard) this was brush on and it was such hard work waiting for it to dry then trying to remove the brush marks that eventually I re-did the tank with aerosol and did the rest of the bike in black acrylic. If you do paint your tank try this petrol resistant lacquer, it's crystal clear and sets pretty hard and quickly too and it is ok over acrylic too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROXL-PROCLEA ... 23441ddb9d

Glad to see the gearbox is now ok,mine has a slight 3rd gear whine despite everything looking good in the box but apparently this is pretty normal with these. I was thinking of riding the bike to the rally at North Weald, just for one of the days, work permitting.. Will let you know nearer the date. BTW, Engine "knock" might not be inside the engine but the side/centre stand rattling around, that is under investigation now?

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Well done on a nice job. I have a soft spot for the lightweights, my first Matchless was a G5......Would LOVE to find
it and own it again. See my post on G5 forum