cam followers

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

cam followers

Post by Ozmadman »

Has anyone got a new cam follower for a lightweight that they could post a picture of on here( I need to see the profile of the face that runs on the cam) or could you have a look and see if the face of the follower is a smooth curve or whether the profile has a slight dip in it possibly to quieten the action? The reason I ask is that the followers off my bike both had a slight groove across the profile as did 2 2nd hand ones I purchased which I assumed was wear caused by the camshaft lobe. I re-profiled them to take out the "wear groove" and the bike runs fine but there is a bit of cam follower clatter?? The camshaft is fine, no visible lobe wear and both camshaft bushes were replaced or maybe it is normal?

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Re: cam followers

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Paul, i have got two used ones that i will be using on my second G5. Happy to dig out and photograph for you if it helps.

Someone may have a stash of 'new ones'. The club hasn't got any neither has Andrew's.

I think there is a case here to approach the club spares and enquire if we could get a batch made up by an engineering company. I guess we would need a 'new one' as a pattern.

There has been a number of lightweight basket cases coming up on flea bay and also complete machines for resto that i guess people will need parts for.

What do you think?

Cheers
Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rangy65 wrote:Hi Paul, i have got two used ones that i will be using on my second G5. Happy to dig out and photograph for you if it helps.
Someone may have a stash of 'new ones'. The club hasn't got any neither has Andrew's.
Cheers
Steve
The club does list them (042071) are they out of stock then? I wouldn't buy new ones unless I could see the profile first as mine work fine(apart from a slight clacking now and then). I also have two spares which I have re-profiled as well so unless there should be some kind of quietening profile to the followers it will be a waste of money. No doubt 2nd hand ones will probably be a bit worn in the same place as well (that's why I wanted a picture of a new one)but it would be good to see a picture. There is a picture on the spares page but it is at the wrong angle but from what I can see it looks pretty much like the working area of the follower is just a smooth curve as mine are now?? Here is a picture of old and re-profiled together
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Andrew Engineering used to supply us with the followers but due to a lack of demand they no longer wish to manufacture them. Unless a substantial order can be placed along with definite sales then it's unlikely we'll have them again. It's the same with the lightweight clutch centres we had made. Lot's of people wanted them until they were made and the reply was HOW MUCH!! That is the cost of small batch production nowadays. They're another component that we'll not have made again.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Paul,here's my pictures. How did you re profile your old ones? as it seems unless a bulk order is placed no one would be able to supply these items.
IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0414.jpg
I would have hoped that the club would look into having these parts manufactured if there was a demand- what's the minimum order?

Cheers

Thanks
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi Steve
It looks like yours have the same wear characteristics as both of my sets, and initial indentation where the cam lobe first starts the lift, another "groove"at the top of the cam lift and another and the end. to re-profile mine all I did was to get some wet and dry paper, place it on a dead flat surface and rub the follower in a rocking motion to follow the original profile until the wear was removed, using a few finer grades and an oilstone then finishing off with some solvol autosol to end up with a smooth finish. Took a while but the finished article was worth it, looks like they will have to be good enough and I am glad now I have a spare set

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8