gearbox whine

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
greasemonkey62

Re: gearbox whine

Post by greasemonkey62 »

Yes it arrived today early afternoon, many thanks for that, and no leaks anywhere at all which is always a bonus !!
I had a great run out today but had to be careful with the throttle as the only problem is the clutch is slipping on anything over half throttle, I had slightly overfilled the chaincase with oil as it was upto the lower inspection holes brim, now I am back I have drained some off but not sure if it was that or the springs needed tightening down further than what I set them at, I tightened them down level with the pressure plate but thinking back when I stripped it I think they may have been tightened down further that that. But another run out will tell me one way or the other.

Cheers Ray.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Good stuff! I think mine has a slight slip on acceleration but not sure as if it is it is slight, can't face draining the oil and tightening the springs at the mo but maybe just adjustment, will try that first
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
greasemonkey62

Post by greasemonkey62 »

yes I was looking at the problem and if the clutch inspection hole was set slightly higher so the box spanner would still just fit then the springs could have been tightened one at a time at the 12'o clock position.
greasemonkey62

Post by greasemonkey62 »

do you know if the clutch springs are the same as the clutch springs on my AJS model 31's clutch, I would have thought it was a universal part but you never know with AMC do you?

Cheers Ray.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Ray

If you check the part number for both you will soon see.
greasemonkey62

Post by greasemonkey62 »

finally got around to doing the slipping clutch then took it for a run, the two extra teeth on the gearbox sprocket I fitted plus the one extra tooth on the engine sprocket by the previous owner works a treat, and it pulls away perfectly too from a standstill on hills, the only thing i am not keen on is the very loud exhaust note, I know in bygone days people used to put wire wool in the silencer to quieten them down, but I will look around for other options first.
I discovered today the frame is 1959, the engine is not a Matchless but a model 8, and the gearbox from a 250 model 14, three for the price of one !!! All I can say though is it now runs just fine and will do 60mph without reving its gonads off, it may have the internals of a 250cc gearbox!

Cheers Ray :D
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

greasemonkey62 wrote: it may have the internals of a 250cc gearbox!
Cheers Ray :D
You're safe then as the internals are the same apart from, as mentioned previously, the main shaft (that's only for the clutch) all the different gearing was achieved by sprockets etc. I love the loud noise, sounds like a proper bike, the Yamaha is a screeching hum..especially when it hits the powerband
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
greasemonkey62

Post by greasemonkey62 »

Mine is a tad too loud for me, but I have found some silencer baffles for sale at some online bike shops and e bay and not too expensive either, you have to carefully measure the pipe/silencer diameter and buy the one that fits inside, there is a 10mm bolt hole to drill but if this is done just on the inside of the bottom of the pipe (7 o'clock) it will not be visible.
There are types you can just bend the small baffle plates to "tune" it to your needs and look just the job.

Cheers Ray.
greasemonkey62

Post by greasemonkey62 »

I have fitted the baffle into the exhaust now and its perfect for me, a nice thud thud thud and not the loud bang now, or is that the postman at the door again, lol.??